1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Single Mother, Teaching overseas again?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by nickisun, Jul 25, 2011.

1. After working overseas for 5 years and being back in the UK for 6, I really would like to go back to working abroad. I now have a wonderful 2 yr old but am a single mother. I realise that this wouldn't be the ideal set up for a prospective employer seeking to fill a position.
    Any thoughts on this anyone?

2. I agree with you; not an ideal set up.
    But there are schools out there. My school has employed mothers with kids (one of them was a bloody disaster) . But I think the school is one of few that do that. You would have to be pretty good too, to beat a single female/male/spouse/spouse with spouse with kids etc.
    And you might not fancy Cairo, or our school, or where the school accommodation is....
    Thought about kennels...? [​IMG]

3. Hi

There are several single parents in teaching Brunei under the C..t contract. It is a great life for the lone parent , not least because you can afford the babysitting and household help which would be a struggle in the UK. Highly recommended!

4. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

You have to have a contract to have a c..t?

5. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

If you are primary look at Shell schools - good salary; housing, medical, travel opps.
    A friend of mine is a single parent and she teaches in Shanghai at the moment and finds it OK! Maybe look at the bigger providers but not in the Middle East.

Good luck