1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Single mom teaching abroad

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by nancylnorth, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Revently divorced 40 something with a 13 year old daughter. I am seriously considering teaching overseas. I am leaning towards South Korea. I am not currently a teacher, I work in then social welfare and medical fields. I have my ex’s permission to take my daughter out of country. Is it possible to support myself and daughter teaching English abroad? What areas to avoid? Where would be the best areas to focus on? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nancy

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

By 'teaching English abroad' do you mean teaching English as a foreign language (EFL)? If so, then no, it's not possible to support a teenage daughter on an EFL salary. Apartments are expensive and small in South Korea (plus you need a deposit of 3 months' rent), and international school fees are expensive too - how would you educate her? You would have the same problem in any country - some countries would not allow her to join a state school as a foreigner, and for those that would (European countries, for example) if she doesn't speak the language then how will she cope?

What are the reasons for wanting to make this move?

If you want to do it right then complete teacher training, get a couple of years experience, then get a job in an international school - completely different situation in that case, as salaries are better, and school places are generally offered to teachers' kids.

If by 'not currently a teacher' you mean that you already do have a teaching qualification, you will struggle to get a job at an international school without recent experience.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

very easy if you are in the right school, and a fully qualified teacher. you will be amazed at what you can earn. it can be significantly more than in the UK.

if you want a decent standard of living, and your accommodation, flights, medical, etc paid for (usual international package), then avoid the sunny regions of western Europe, Spain, Italy, Greece, Portugal.

look at all the curriculum options out there. for example, the IB is far bigger internationally than British schools, so there are far more opportunities for jobs. be aware that international recruitment is very different to the UK, and generally runs from September to around the end of February.

trust me you will not regret making the move, if you get into the right school, and right country for you..... but you need to be a fully qualified teacher.