1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Single-Issue Multiples

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by Vince_Ulam, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

@TES_Rosaline

Is pre-moderation for new members still in effect? There are an increasing number of new, single-issue accounts emerging with suspiciously full knowledge of established members, throwing up familiar troll threads as fast as they can be taken down and even having conversations with one another. This new format was rolling along nicely but things are taking a turn for the worse and Personal is looking more like Opinion with each day. There needs to be more in place to dissuade these multiples - genuine people who need advice or who wish to post something of educational interest will not mind that their posts are delayed if they can be pointed to a sticky explanation but the multiples who sign up and head straight for Personal and who post nothing about teaching will be dissuaded by higher hurdles.

2. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Clearly not.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

4. Vince_Ulam

I see the Indian mover & packer is back. Six posts to his name, all on Education News this morning in the space of seventeen minutes. Any chance of pre-moderation for new members any time soon?

aspensquiver likes this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There were some early morning that were deleted fast.

I've noticed hat some of the spammers manage to have joining dates several months ago. This may be confusing the system into thinking hey are not newbies....

One of the Chinese ones a few days ago claimed to be a primary teacher from NZ.

Best wishes

6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Just noticed the 'Members online now' box. There are three 'robots' online - what's a robot in the context of TES?

cissy3 likes this.
  7. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I don't know about 'robots' but there is definitely one irritatingly argumentative ******* around on the main forums!

8. Vince_Ulam

9. Vince_Ulam

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That spam has been zapped, @Vince_Ulam Within 3 minutes of appearing this a.m. I reckon

An absolute guess, Snowy: they could be spam seeking robots. Which this morning didn't catch the spam!

Best wishes

11. Vince_Ulam

It's good to see the back of spam, @TheoGriff, but we still have the problem of troll-swarm. We need pre-moderation for new members.

marlin and Scintillant like this.
  12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Absolutely.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  13. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in responding to you all.

We are working on the issue of pre-moderation for new users.

In the meantime, please can you flag up any posts and threads that you believe are from trolls or banned members who have returned to the forums?

I know it is easier said than done and extremely frustrating to have discussion hijacked by so-called users trolling the forums but if possible please avoid responding to their posts. As we all know the aim of the troll is to bait genuine members and provoke them into breaching the house rules. If you can ignore them that would be great. Don't forget, you can report the post/thread and then use the ignore function if you wish. The team is working hard to respond to reports and deal with the disruptive elements in the Community but during busy periods there may be delays in removing content or taking other appropriate action. Please bear with us while we try to rectify this issue.

Thank you.

marlin and Scintillant like this.
  14. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, I forgot to respond to the following:

Hi @snowyhead,

The robots are automated crawlers for search engines like Google, Yahoo etc. They are constantly re-indexing the site.

The Members online now actually means that the member/guest/robot has been online in the last 15 minutes.

marlin and snowyhead like this.
  15. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Thank you @TES_Rosaline. I was beginning to feel a little paranoid.

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Which brings me to a common point of mine.

There are web crawlers that look for e-mail addresses in order to sell them on to spam senders. So on a public site never put your e-mail address as this: Funnyteacher@yahoo.com but always thus: Funnyteacher at yahoo dot com

If possible best not to put it on at all, of course, as any real live person can send you unsolicited e-mails which can be as bad as the spam from Yolanda in Moscow who wants to be your friend and hopes you will send her a plane ticket.

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 and marlin like this.
  17. Vince_Ulam

@TES_Rosaline

Try the xenForo help fora. I think you'll find it's possible.

18. Vince_Ulam

@TES_Rosaline.

1. When are you initiating pre-moderation for new members?
    2. When will you be issuing effective bans against trolls who are in obvious, repeated and blatant breach of House Rules and who are clearly intent upon disrupting the Community?

If these things are never going to happen then let us know now.

19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

@TES_Rosaline Same here. It's becoming farcical. If there is to be nothing done, be kind enough to let us know, and we can all have some fun...

aspensquiver and sabrinakat like this.
  20. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

At least premoderation would weed out those who are adopting variations of other posters' names I suppose
    It's sad that it's looking necessary.

aspensquiver and sabrinakat like this.