1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Single female teaching in Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by kitifer_2000, Mar 15, 2020.

1. kitifer_2000

kitifer_2000 New commenter

Hi all, just looking for a little advice. I’ve been offered a job at a British school in Saudi Arabia, but I’m a single female. I have previously lived and worked in the UAE, but I’m also aware that the UAE is more liberal than Saudi. What are the positive/negative issues I should be aware of before I make this choice? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially from ladies who have previously been in my position.

2. b7031475

b7031475 New commenter

It depends where in Saudi Arabia you'll be!

stopwatch likes this.
  3. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I worked for a total of 5 years in a school like the one you mention, in Riyadh. There are some restrictions, generally, not just for single females, but all staff. This tends to be outside the compound. On compound, it is very liberal.
    If you PM me with any specifics, I can give you a more detailed response.

4. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

It is a fair point; Riyadh v Jeddah are apparently worlds apart.

It sounds as if stopwatch is your go to poster, but I too lived in Riyadh for a spell so feel free to pm me if you'd like some additional background.

stopwatch likes this.
  5. AirHostie

AirHostie New commenter

Plenty single female teachers in Riyadh at the only true British school. I’m not single but we have a good social life. Positives and negatives are hard to advise on as it depends on your interests and expectations.

6. cookiemonster611

cookiemonster611 New commenter

Hi @AirHostie
    I have sent you a conversation message thingybob. :)

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Correct. I also worked at this school. You really need to get a clear picture of what life there entails in order to ascertain whether you could thrive or dive there.
    I think the OP has been offered a position at the school near the bridge to Bahrain

8. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Hmm, whilst having an option to cross the border, enjoy the queues, personally I thought Dammam was a bit of a ****hole.

stopwatch likes this.
  9. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Worth noting OP. I didn’t realise this.