1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Singing

Discussion in 'Music' started by Montague78, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Montague78

Montague78 New commenter

I was wondering what other people did to supplement singing work in lessons?

We are wanting to develop singing in the curriculum but we have 75 minute lessons and have found that this is too long to keep them engaged with singing. We have looked at different types of songs in musicals and got the pupils to plan out how they would turn a fairy tale into a musical but some fresh ideas would be great!

2. muso2

muso2 Established commenter Community helper

Primary or Secondary?

I'm secondary, and even with 60 min lessons, I rarely do a full lesson that is entirely singing (sometimes). I find it has been more natural to integrate singing, or singing options into most units of work. e.g. blues music can include a blues song that we compose and sing together, then they put it together with their chords and walking bass in groups - they're singing as part of their learning, but it's not entirely teacher-led. I would suggest looking at your current units of work and see where singing opportunities would naturally fit in. If you want singing and vocal skills to be a separate activity, you could start or end most lessons with a song that links in some way with the aims of the lesson, e.g. harmonies, rounds, etc.

3. Can you not give them solo/group projects to work on during this time too - so whole class warm ups/ whole class song projects then their own pieces then come together to perform? Gives them ownership and you can offer points for development for next time - more personalised learning? I suppose if depends on how much space you have!!

4. Montague78

Montague78 New commenter

I'm secondary.

Thanks both for your ideas, definitely some food for thought.