1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Singing assemblies in primary schools

Discussion in 'Music' started by newmummy1, Jul 16, 2015.

1. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

Primary music leader colleagues, how are singing assemblies run in your schools? In my school I lead the whole school in a 20 minute singing assembly every week. There are no other staff present and I find behaviour (esp KS2) difficult to manage on my own. Even though I only work 2 days a week I have to lead this assembly every which which I resent slightly as the other staff don't think music is very important.

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I work one day a week and have to do a whole school singing assembly. I insisted on having someone in, because if you are trying to play the piano, read the words, sort out the computer, see what little Jimmy is up to in the back row, it is impossible.

I have had a TA in-that worked quite sel as she was a good singer. We also tried having all the teachers in,as they were complaining that they didn;t know any of the songs. Thhey refused to sing and just sat there. I thought that was setting a bad example so I decided I didn't want them in. They didn't want to be there either.

One thing I did that worked really well was to have Singing Leaders from year 6. I chose a year 6 child to sit at each end of year 1's row, the row of year 2s, the row of year 3.s etc. Their job was to be my eyes and ears, If they spotted anyone being silly they got up and told them off. They had the power to give house points for good sitting, listening, singing etc to anyone in the class that they were watching . I made them badges to wear in the assembly and they sat on chairs at the end of their class row, rather than on the floor. I gave them a certificate at the end of their stint. We swapped Singing Leaders every term.they loved doing it the the rest of the children responded well.