1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Singapore

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by dazedatmyage, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Well i've been offered a job in a school that has extremely mixed reviews! Can it really be as bad as everyone makes out or is it just a typical international school that most people aren't quite prepared for - oh go on, call me cynical!

2. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Well, it depends on the nature of the negative reviews. Things like contracts not being honored, pay being late/withheld, teachers fired with little or no warning, accommodations unacceptable are fairly straightforward and should be major red flags.
    Factors such as school resources and behavior could be a bit more in the eye of the beholder and you would just need to try and determine the facts (i.e. are there text books?, does the school actually have a working Internet?) and take them into account as you make your decision.
    Other complaints such as bullying/Top down admin., gossiping/backstabbing teachers and dis-satisfaction with the city/country and local population will be more subjective.
    In the end, you must take a leap of faith wherever you go, but do try and leap with your eyes open.