1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Singapore with family

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Branewday, May 22, 2020.

1. Branewday

Branewday New commenter

Hi
    I have almost 20 years experience in primary teaching, but within that time I have been on maternity leave for my 3 children. I am keen to move to Singapore with the family for the start of the next academic year 2021. A job won’t be a problem for my husband as he is able to transfer with his company. I know it’s extremely competitive, but any insight as to whether schools would hire me with 3 school places needed? I have a management position here in the UK but I am happy to step down and not take any extra responsibilities if I were successful. Thanks in advance!

2. IndigoViolence

IndigoViolence New commenter

Depends on school. BUT if you’re husband is working, you many not get any school places or perhaps only a % paid.

Using Search Associates or Teacher Horizons is the place to start. SA will give you that information upfront. Make sure you research your schools.

Good luck.

3. Branewday

Branewday New commenter

Thanks.... I’m new to this. Does joining one of the international recruit agencies (as above) increase your chances or merely give you a better insight into different schools? Presumably I would be cheaper for the schools to hire if I applied directly with them?
    Also, why would my husband working mean I may not be eligible for free school places? If he were to get a transfer we wouldn’t be receiving a package, it would be simply working through a different office.

If we were to make the move I would only go for a school with a British curriculum (narrowing it down to probably 4 different schools). I know that would decrease chances of getting a position, but want to continue the same curriculum for my children.

Thanks for replying, it’s such a minefield of information and quite daunting!

4. IndigoViolence

Going through an agency gives you insight and possibly first dibs on posts earlier. You’re not considered a cheap hire- 3 kids, housing, medical and flights plus experienced actually makes you the most expensive hire on the market. Some schools respect this, some don’t.

As for schools, they might financially check you and as husband is working, some could decide not offer school places. That happened to a colleague in the Middle East- not sure about Singapore.

Curriculums will all have a slight variation - so not exact match to the U.K. Mostly because of cultural influences and not a huge issue.

We moved ours to IB and it suited one but not the other, horses for courses and all that.

Branewday likes this.
  5. Branewday

Branewday New commenter

Thanks for your responses! Yes I am aware I would be expensive so adjusting my expectations accordingly I will take a chance and try, and who knows what might happen. I also have the Covid issue to contend with, with all the uncertainties.

6. IndigoViolence

I think the 2020/21 is viable but definitely sign up with SA and approach schools too.

Just worth noting obstacles so you don’t feel disheartened. Good luck!

Branewday likes this.
  7. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

Hi,

Personally, I wouldn't sign up to a recruitment agency as your country is already pinned down, however seeing as you're in the UK and it's free to register I guess you have nothing to lose. I don't know of any schools in SG that hire exclusively through an agency. When I was looking for a job in Singapore, I bookmarked the vacancy page of all the schools I was interested in and checked them weekly.

The three children is your biggest stumbling block. You will get schooling for a maximum of 2. The only schools I know that give three places only give them to teaching couples. I am happy to share names with schools of you via Conversation, and let you know good ones to aim for.

Singapore is a wonderful, but expensive, place to raise children. Free school fees are taxed, so you end up paying about 25% (judging by how much my tax went up when my daughter started school). I'm happy to go through my average monthly budget with you (I have 2 children, both now in school and have been here 6 years), again via Conversation.

Branewday likes this.
  8. T_Sweeting

T_Sweeting New commenter

There are a couple of schools that will take three as part of your package, mine included, but as stated, most have to pay tax on this.

My place certainly has teachers with three children. However, you'd need to get the job before arriving to stand any chance of free places.

I wouldn't be put off by non-national curriculum schools. My place does iGCSE, which is broadly similar to the UK, and then switches to IB for KS5. The IB is a really rigorous programme and is well respected by UK universities (moreso than A-level). A lot of schools have a large number of British teachers and the IB is very flexible with curriculum content with many of its courses, so there'll be overlap anyway.

Singapore is a competitive market, but i know people who've come straight off the back of NQT into top schools.

Good luck!

Branewday likes this.
  9. Bythesea123

Bythesea123 New commenter

I'm in SG with kids. CV aside we have a good quality of life and I like the school I work in. They only give 2 school places though; families with 3 children have to pay for the third.
    It's better to get hired on your job and then your husband is transferred officially after you arrive. You want him to come in as a dependent then you will receive all the benefits such as housing and medical.

Branewday likes this.
  10. Branewday

Branewday New commenter

Thanks for taking the time out to reply migratingbird. As I have a new account, I can't start a conversation. Is it possible for you to start one? Big thank you in advance!

11. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

Done