1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Singapore Specifics

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by MyOrchid, Dec 17, 2010.

1. MyOrchid

MyOrchid New commenter

Hello!

I have an interview for a teaching post in a very large international school in Singapore. Having only visited previously I would greatly appreciate any up to date advice regarding salary expectations, living costs and other domestic matters. Other than Sentosa Island, the night safari and Raffles tea rooms, is there much else to do with a family that doesn't involve shopping?!

Thanks,
    Orchid

2. Singapore is very very expensive. Some schools pay you well enough to cope with the cost and some don't! Give us a clue as to the school and I will be able to tell you whether you will be fine or not

3. MyOrchid

MyOrchid New commenter

Thanks, iknowjack,

The school is the one that's Tangled up, if you catch my drift...!

Orchid

4. That school is one of the best payers on the island. They will expect their pound of flesh but it is a good school to work at. I have friends there and they are currently in Canada skiing so life can't be too bad can they! Go for it is what I say. Yes Singapore is expensive and yes the cost of living is high but the Tangled School will reward you so that saving is still possible and a great standard of living as well.

5. MyOrchid

MyOrchid New commenter

Thank you. This is in line with what I had heard, but it's good to get corroboration!
    Orchid

6. What about International School (name of the country)? Does this school have a good reputation? Can they give us a comfortable life there?

7. Anyone get an interview for the big Double U at Sea?

8. Thanks for sharing what you know about the school, Panjang. I really appreciate it. I was kind of surprised to hear your info. because it looks like there are many highly qualified staff working there!

9. Panjang

Panjang New commenter

Yes, they are good at recruiting. But recruiting and retaining staff are different things. I think once some teachers arrive here and look around at what other schools offer, they want more. As I said though, it's not a bad school to work for and some teachers are happy to stay long term if they're not after the big bucks or want to rise through the ranks and get experience. Teachers interested in getting a post such as PYP or MYP coordinator, or TOK experience might have more opportunities in a smaller school with a high staff turnover, they can then move on to a more prestigious well paid school once they have their cv up to scratch. I'm just talking generally, from my observations having worked at various international schools over the years.

10. Panjang

Panjang New commenter

Emily - Check your inbox- I've messaged you

11. Hey there Panjang, can I email you as well as I also have questions about a particular school in Sg?

12. Hi there EmilyChu,

Can I email you to ask you more questions about this school?

Thanks,

N

13. Panjang

Panjang New commenter

Hi Nzinga37, Yes go ahead.

14. selbelle

selbelle New commenter

Hello Panjang

I recently applied for a job at a school with intertwined 'e's (one of them upside down) in Singapore. Would you be able to tell me whether this is a good school (i know they have an equivalent one in malaysia) and whether they pay their staff a decent salary for Singapore (where I'd be able to save some money? ). Any information about teaching+ renting in Singapore would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

15. Panjang

Panjang New commenter

Hi Selbelle,

I'm not sure which school you're referring to - I guess you're being a little to cryptic for me! Nexus? If so can't tell you much about it in regards to whether they're good employers. Can let you know their reputation as a school to send your children. However it's only reputation and may not be accurate. PM me for specifics whichever school it is and I'll do my best to help.

Renting - Rents have shot up the past few years although they seem to be softening a little now. I work at one of the top tier schools and my rental allowance just covers a 4 bedroom place but we have been in the same apt 14 years so have a good relationship with our landlord. Most of my colleagues add a bit to their allowances to get somewhere they like. Teaching is a dream although full-on in terms of commitment to my job. Kids are wonderful, parents mostly supportive and I'm very happy. Pay is good too.

16. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

I'd be interested in info about that school's (the one that has a sister in Malaysia) reputation, Panjang, if you don't mind.