1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Singapore salary

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by booooob, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Just a quick one, is the salary of package reasonable? I've heard a fair bit about cost of living dramatically increasing; is this the case?

Monthly, inc accommodation: SGD8300

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, Bob

2. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Depends on the post : bog standard teacher or higher climbs of management, plus location if it is all inclusive as acommodation Sing is very expensive, with more exclusive areas eating up the whole 8000.

3. Thanks for your input- bog standard teacher (7 years exp) going as a teaching couple so partner on the same.

4. Does that mean the 8300 includes the accommodation allowance OR you are given the accommodation + 8300?

5. Yep, sorry it wasn't very clear on reading it- the 8300SGD is inclusive of the allowance. In addition to this there is an end of contract 10% bonus, but of course we would be liable for tax (also about 10%?) From my initial research it seems that you can spend as much as you wish on evenings out etc? I can foresee us eating mostly at the food courts and shopping more as the locals do.

Thanks for the replies, any more input would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

6. I'm moving out there next year.

I don't think it's the highest offered but with the two of you earning that, by my calculations, you should be absolutely fine. I haven't actually been there yet, however, so take my advice with a pinch of salt!

As I understand it, reasonable accommodation can range from 3000-8000 per month . Personally, I'd be happy to pay up to 4000 for a 2 bedroom flat although I might look into getting an HDB flat as well as these are quite a bit cheaper and my wife and I don't have any sprogs yet.

I have read somewhere that food will cost $200 per person per month if you shop as locals do and can go up a lot if you eat out.

I've been told to expect to pay 15% tax

See :
    http://www.iproperty.com.sg/property/propertybyschool.aspx (lets you search by school location)

http://www.guidemesingapore.com/relocation/introduction/singapore-cost-of-living
    http://www.singaporeexpats.com/guides-for-expats/house-hunt-guide.htm

http://www.livinginsingapore.org/costofliving

7. p.s. here are some statistics on recent HDB prices : http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10323p.nsf/w/RentOpenMktStatisticRent?OpenDocument

8. 8300 is fine and roughly what to expect for an average salary in an average Intl school for a bog standard classroom teacher. I have a similar profile and I am getting 9600SGD. Yes, costs of living are rising. Dramatically? Nah, just about the same as everywhere else.
    You can get a perfectly fine HDB or even Condo for 3000, and people who shop around have been able to get something for less. My place has two bedrooms and is very nice and costs 3550 per month (bills included).
    200$ per person for food costs seems a bit low. Sure, you could only eat like the locals do, but I bet they spend more than that, and hey, life is for living and Singapore is one of the world's finest eating destination, so splash out a bit from time to time and enjoy.

9. Hi all,
    This seems about the average teacher salary out there but it depends if both you and your wife are on the exact same salary, as normally only one person in the married couple will get the housing allowance. My husband and I are also moving out to singapore in July and thankfully managed to go visit there for interview. From speaking to many of the other teachers in the school it seems they all manage to live to a good standard and save!
    Cant wait!!! what school are you guys off too? maybe its the same one!

10. Dear all, thank you very much for all of the useful info and links. It really helps getting others' perspective on things.

Looks like the move is on!

Cheers, Bob.

11. Not
    quite true. At least in my school couples get about 25% more for their
    housing allowances. Same thing for the relocation allowance (10k for
    singles, 13,5k for couples)

12. sorry, i didnt mean like that. My husband and I work in different schools and we had to opt take the married allowance from only one school. Basically we could both just claim our own benefits :)

13. Toosey-Jay

Toosey-Jay New commenter

Really- wow.. My basic is half that...

14. karel

karel Occasional commenter

Do any of you guys work at or know about the German European school in Singapore? Also, doe schools there allow for a none teaching spouse? What are the chances of a non-teaching spouse getting work in Singapore? Thanks.

15. Starstellar77

Starstellar77 New commenter

I am in the same situation. I am hoping that my partner will be able to find work in Singapore either by retraining as an ESL teacher or in some other capacity as he does have a background in ICT (although this is somewhat lapsed.)

Any advice would be fantastic!

16. The job market for non teaching spouses is actually quite good. They will be on a dependent visa which is quite sought after by local companies as it means they won't have to pay CPF. Whereas it is common in nearby countries for trailing spouses to teach English on the side to make extra money, it's more common in Singapore for partners to find a position within their usual trade. The unemployment rate has again gone down recently and companies are hiring. A good command of English and a good CV, especially in IT, should open some doors.

17. Starstellar77

Thanks Haddok, that makes me feel a bit more reassured.

18. Starstellar77

Haddok, I hope you don't mind but I have PM'd you.

19. van05

van05 New commenter

I've just been offered a $4900sgd, I have 6-7 years experience and a masters. I'd be moving with my spouse with hope they find work soon. From what I've read above is offer seems too low. What should I expect to get?

20. mrjack

mrjack New commenter

Is $6750 per month acceptable and what would be the minimum required for an acceptable housing allowance ?
    Thanks in advance.