1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Singapore Packages

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by worlo24, Sep 18, 2020.

1. worlo24

worlo24 Occasional commenter

Hi all,

Can anyone pm me with information regarding Singapore packages please? Also, any information on the best schools to work in would be greatly appreciated.

2. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

I would say that’s a ridiculously easy thing to research.
    It seems that finance equates to the ‘best’ schools so I’d go for Tanglin and Singapore American School

frodo_magic likes this.
  3. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Did you do a search of this forum, lots of threads on this!!

4. Panjang

Panjang New commenter

Traditionally, Tanglin, UWC and SAS were the top tier schools, but that was back in the day, before Dulwich, North London Collegiate and Brighton College set up there. The latter two are brand now and Dulwich is only a few years old, but they are established brand names and probably pay well. Having said all that, I know even the big three are starting to worry about numbers and at least one has cut teacher salaries this year. I honestly thing the best days are over.

worlo24 likes this.
  5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I was told the best days were over back in the 90s when I started my career. They have died multiple deaths since then. And yet, this international career continues to offer much more than the typical home country career ever could.

teachersn, mermy and worlo24 like this.
  6. worlo24

Thanks for the information. I had done a search of the forum but when people post new threads, it is usually to get up to date information

7. worlo24

Would it be possible to send you an inbox conversation please?

8. worlo24

If my partner and I were both to get teaching jobs in one of the top tier schools, would we earn enough to be able to live comfortably in what is an expensive country? Thank you for any input

9. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

More than enough, unless your definition of comfortable is the same as my definition of extravagant.

worlo24 likes this.
  10. worlo24

Thanks gulf gulf. No we don't live an extravagant lifestyle. We have a young child so would need to pay for a nanny whilst we are working. We would like to send some money home as savings and would like a couple of holidays a year but our partying days are long behind us now :)

gulfgolf likes this.
  11. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

In a place like Singapore, it's not about you making the choice, it's about them making it. They can pick and choose their staff and so you're gonna have to have a pretty special CV to make it. If you have outstanding references and qualifications from a Russel Group or Oxbridge university then you're in for a chance. Otherwise it's going to be tricky. Unless you're both teaching shortage subjects and it's a little easier.

12. gilderbeast2000

gilderbeast2000 New commenter

Singapore is very competitive in term of the International teaching market. You would have a better chance of getting work in Thailand, Vietnam or China. I know some very experienced colleagues who couldn't even get interviews in Singapore despite many years of international teaching experience. Although, for some reason, many international schools will recruit younger teachers straight from the UK, with no experience of living and working abroad. They generally stay for the first contract and then return after their 'working holiday'.

So go for it but don't assume that you will walk into a job in Singapore. Thailand has dozens of schools where you could get some international experience before looking for Singapore, perhaps.

Good Luck!

13. worlo24

Thanks for the advice - I am under no illusions how difficult it is to even get an interview for some schools in Singapore but it is good to find out about salary, living potential etc before hand. We both have international experience and are senior leaders in our current schools, so we will put in the applications and see how it goes. Thanks again for all the advice

14. hallsa1

hallsa1 New commenter

A colleague has just started their first international post with their spouse in a school in Singapore. No problem securing a position.

worlo24 likes this.
  15. Panjang

Panjang New commenter

yes, sorry for the late reply, I don't come on here much

16. steluta

steluta New commenter

Are you able to share which one of the three reduced their package? Thanks

17. schonbeanie

schonbeanie New commenter

Sent you a DM

worlo24 likes this.