1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Singapore Packages 2018

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MrH20, Mar 30, 2018.

1. MrH20

MrH20 New commenter

What's a good package at a top international school in Singapore?

2. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Opinions probably vary, but I'd say anything above (or close to) 10K SGD a month, as salary + accommodation allowance, is good.

3. vir

vir New commenter

SPC2 is right, though I do think this is at the top end of the best IS schools there. Are you including gratuity?

Have been offered a very similar package, though I have a partner and child coming with me. Do you think it would be a struggle SPC2?

Anyone know what the supply market is like over there? Partner is a mfl teacher, QTS but no recent experience.

4. SPC2

Depends where you are on your school's scale. I'm on more than that and am not at any of the Big Three.

Supply - the work is there, but pay's jack **** unfortunately. Also, I believe you are limited to work at two schools only, something which tilts the 'supply' and demand balance.

Expat numbers have taken a real hit with the decline of oil and gas. The international schools scene may well change massively in the next ten years, see https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...al-schools-open-cost-conscious-expats-9986520 Remember, locals can't go to international schools without official permission, making a big difference to provision here from many countries.

Singapore is an expensive country but, if you are cheap to run, you can live well and save. If you have a decent expat package, supporting a trailing spouse is no bother.

That's my take, anyway.

hitherejen and Mr_Frosty like this.
  5. vir

vir New commenter

Hope you don't mind SPC2, but I have pm'd you.

6. SPC2

No problem, I've replied.

7. claude2014

claude2014 New commenter

The packages can vary. Tanglin Trust are advertising on TES that the gross range is between $101,000 and 112,000. For a teacher a base salary anywhere between $7-10,000 a month + rental seems average. Rental allowances can go between $2000 - 3000 as a base. Teachers can now only supply at one school. Tax is really low. You rental allowance is usually higher if you have dependents. How much you have to contribute to top up your rental allowance will depend on where you want to live and some schools are in very expensive areas. You will have a gratuity and flights, medical etc on top of this. If your child is not at school there is no daycare for kids as most people have helpers. Singapore is a great place with kids.

8. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Employing a nanny can be very difficult and you have to provide them with housing. Something to be aware of.

9. SPC2

Finding the 'right' one might be difficult, but I'm not aware of any other difficulties. The island abounds with maid agencies: you can see aspiring helpers sitting in agency offices, lined up hoping to meet employers, in many shopping centres. Ang moh (Western) employers are first choice for most.

Most apartments of any size come with a maid's room, so it's not like HK with its space challenges. It's also possible, on the quiet, to have them live out if you want. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see it as difficult other than finding the right 'fit'.

10. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

It's a complex process is what I should have said. A colleague of mine spent three months sorting out all the paperwork and things for her live in nanny. So complex is probably a better word. Just something to be aware of.

11. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Someone I know who got made redundant from their HoD post in a rubbish large Academy got a great similar job in a top school in Singapore recently, on 11500 SGD a month + single apartment accommodation provided. The accommodation is the key. If you get that then anything over 8000 SGD a month is fine for a small family.

I love the place. Cheap, apart from accommodation, plenty to do, great food, very safe, great base for travels, Malaysia half an hour away, great transport. The weather knocks you out to start with but you get used to it.

12. SPC2

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, can't argue with that. Singapore is quite a bureaucratic society!

ejclibrarian likes this.
  13. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

I'd agree with pretty much everything said. The nanny process doesn't have to be so complex if you get a transfer within Singapore - can easily be done in under a month. Tax jumps up a lot if you have children at the school - mine increased by a third (but is still only 10% a month roughly). @vir I support a family of 4 on a single income, am happy to chat if you have questions.

14. MrH20

MrH20 New commenter

Well ive been offered 11,000 a month including salary and accomodation allowance and also a 20% gratuity. Is this pretty good? I've got 6 years of teaching experience, 4 years as head of department and 2 years senior leadership. Does this sound ok for my level of experience?

Also, do schools over there help contribute to a pension or the equivalent?

15. SPC2

[QUOTE="MrH20, post: 12444781, member: 5205447" Is this pretty good? [/QUOTE]

Oh yes.

16. claude2014

claude2014 New commenter

I think it is more about the job you are applying for than the level of experience. Many schools have pay scales and they have a top entry point for teachers regardless of their experience. People always talk about negotiating and I have asked but have never received a higher salary. It is probably more important to think if you can live on that amount. Do you have to send money home, do you have dependents etc. On face value if it is just you and you stick to $3000 for rent you should have around $8000 pre tax and that is fine.

17. Spencer_Mills

Spencer_Mills New commenter

18. Spencer_Mills

Spencer_Mills New commenter

The ‘Big Three’: Are these all British Schools or are you including the one with the name from Down Under?

I’m in UK currently and just doing some research on schools in Singapore and haven’t heard this expression before that’s all.

19. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

If SPC2's big three is the same as mine, one is British, one is American, and the third is not affiliated with any country specifically, but more a mix of a few countries 'united'.

hitherejen and Helen-Back like this.
  20. SPC2

Agreed.