1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Singapore Packages 2017

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jdgoliath9, Jun 1, 2017.

1. jdgoliath9

jdgoliath9 New commenter

Hi All,

I am hoping the community can help me with a few questions on Singapore.

First of all i am a Physics secondary school teacher in the UK and i am hoping to transition to teaching overseas in Singapore in summer 2018. My first question is will i be able to get a job in Singapore? (I hear it is mighty competitive).

Following this can anyone please give me information on how much packages typically offer such as flights, pay, relocation allowance, and housing allowance? I hear HDB's are the way to go for cheaper rent but how much would i be paying on rent typically?

My partner who is a Biology teacher is also hoping to move out there as well, i appreciate any help and will answer any questions :)

JD

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

as a physics teacher you will easily get a job. you are a very rare breed on the international circuit indeed. Singapore is one of the most sort after places on earth to work though, so this place wont be as easy as everywhere else. any decent school outside of western Europe will give you as a basic classroom teacher package:
    • annual return flight for you and all your dependants
    • free medical insurance for you and all your dependants
    • free places for your children at the school (usually up to 2)
    • Travel allowance/shipping - covering getting you and all your dependants to the country.
    • accommodation - either fully paid for, or allowance that will cover renting.
    • salary - tax free (or equivalent) from $30 000 a year all the way up to $100 000.
    some schools will provide a LOT more for free also. just remember that you only need to earn in the low $30 000 tax free to be taking home MORE than someone on M6 in the UK.

Biology teachers on the other hand are two a penny on the circuit.

jdgoliath9 likes this.
  3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Singapore is far from tax free.

4. dumbbells66

sorry, i meant the equivalent take home pay of a tax free salary, and i was also talking worldwide and not specifically about Singapore.

5. jdgoliath9

jdgoliath9 New commenter

Hello,

Thank you for the replies from everyone, i am wondering do you have any experience with Singapore?

I am hoping to get an idea of what a fair salary and package is with Singapore and how much rent would typically cost? I have looked around a bit but cant find anything for post 2015.

Appreciate all the help!

6. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

I think he meant net salary or after tax!!

7. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Rents have been falling over a year now. 2.5K-3K pcm should see you right. This website is worth a browse http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/ as it will give you an idea of what you can get for your money.

jdgoliath9 and luciakingsland like this.
  8. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

Feel free to start a conversation with me, I am happy to share. Something to add to what @dumbbells66 said, tax is around 10%. My tax bill was very low until my child started school. It has since almost doubled. You pay tax on school places and on your airfare (unless you meet very strict criteria regarding where and when you will fly). I am in Singapore currently and have been for 3 years.

jdgoliath9 likes this.
  9. jdgoliath9

jdgoliath9 New commenter

Thank you for the reply, i would like to start a conversation with you but i am not sure how? Maybe you could message me and we can go from there?

Many Thanks!

10. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

As dumbbells66 said, Singapore is the most sought after place for teachers to work in. Even as a physics teacher the competition is fierce and most schools are looking for teachers who already have international experience.

I had 2 interviews for schools in Singapore, but both made it very clear that I was the only teacher without international experience to be shortlisted for interview. However, the interviews were good practice for me and helped me to secure the job that I will be moving to this summer (not in Singapore, but very close to it!).

Good luck with your search, but do keep your options open for your first international position.

jdgoliath9 likes this.
  11. jdgoliath9

jdgoliath9 New commenter

Thank you to SPC2 & missbrody for the excellent replies i really do appreciate it.

And thank you again missbrody, i appreciate the honesty i do not want to get complacent with the application process so it is good to know what i am up against.

When is the application window for Singapore and around? I will be getting my name out there this summer but not sure when all the major players will be posting jobs.

Also where is a good alternative near Singapore with similar packages? I hear that Dubai is a 'wastepaper' reference for international prestige as a teacher so trying to make the right career moves.

Many Thanks (and congratulations on the new job!)

12. dumbbells66

Join Search associates, it will give you access to its database where you can find out the different packages available all over the world. There are plenty of countries that are comparable in terms of package to Singapore. The main season for teachers runs from around September to the end of February. Singapore would be recruiting early, and getting a LOT of applications. Remember you are competeing against the world, and UK trained teachers are nowhere near the largest group on the circuit.

We were desperate for a physics teacher here last season, and it took a lot to find one, like so many schools. And we have a starting salary for a basic classroom teacher, higher than the highest paid headteacher in inner London.....admittedly this country isnt for everyone. I love though.

4 days of teaching left :)

jdgoliath9 likes this.
  13. jdgoliath9

jdgoliath9 New commenter

Thank you, that is so informative i really do appreciate it.

Wow that is an amazing package, which country is that in? Congratulations for surviving another term ;)

14. dumbbells66

working in international schools is not surviving, its great, its an absolute breeze in comparison to the UK. im just looking forward to the 8 weeks i have with my lovely Polish girlfriend. Im in Africa, West coast.

15. justengaged1

justengaged1 New commenter

Can u email me. I need to chat about something. johnenglish901 AT Gmail DOT COM

16. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

@dumbbells66 I suggest you don't - a certain poster is back with a new name

17. dumbbells66

But what if he wants advice on how to stop his insane ramblings??? That could help us all :):):)

blueskydreaming likes this.
  18. justengaged1

WHat you doing? I thought you would email me. PM me then instead if you don't want to email.

19. justengaged1

How come if you earn so much cash your polish GF doesn't get a visa and go to that Angola place with you? Funny that isn't it or have I missed something :D

20. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

@dumbbells66 do you really think you have suitable qualifications to give advice in his case?