1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Singapore new arrivals!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by aleece, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Hello everyone,
    I'm moving out to Singapore this summer with my wife after securing a new job at a school out in Singapore, teaching Geography/History.
    Just wondering if there is anyone else in the same boat, it would be great to chat to anyone in a similar position and maybe meet-up out in Singapore.
    Enjoy the summer!
    Adam :)

2. groovybob

groovybob New commenter

The wife and I are going to be landing in Penang (North East Malaysia) this summer. Can't wait!!!!!!!!

3. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Hi I'll be in KL but will be visiting Singapore as I have a friend teaching there along with a few acquaintances there Nd in JB. And for the shopping!

4. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

As Singapore is one of the places I am considering next year I would be very interested to hear about your impressions and experiences (if you can spare the time!)

5. Buttles

Buttles New commenter

I hope you don't drink wine or spirits.
    A glass of el vino now costs $13 in Singers.
    But seriously you will love Asia.
    Asia is everything Britain should and could be (weather excused) but lacked the b*lls and leadership to become.
    You'll be amazed at how efficient it all is and crime free.
    I have a friend in London - ex-RAF Bomber Command - the local thugs broke down his door and stole his pension money for the week.
    In Singers they would be hanging from a rope. I am totally ashamed to be British.

6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

India is in Asia. I lived there for four years and I'm in constant touch with Indian friends.They would assure you in graphic detail that their part of Asia is neither efficient nor crime free.
    You can buy it much more cheaply at the duty-free just over the causeway in Johor. Just make sure the bottles don't clink. Smile nicely at the customs and immigration people (a Manchester United scarf visible in the car stood us in good stead). They are normally very polite though I was once shouted at quite unnecessarily for not giving a one word answer to a question which required a sentence. I shouted back and it was very effective, but don't count on it as a general strategy.
    There are a number of things I like about Singapore including the hospitals and the wonderful zoo (one of the finest in the world for breeding threatened species) but it is a small place with rather a small mentality. And the humidity is horrendous. Keep your Y-fronts in the fridge and budget for gallons of Savlon and sacks of talc. As a colleague commented 'Galloping ****-rot is endemic in this neck of the woods'.

7. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Either you don't really live here, or you don't venture out much, or you're simply a fantasist.
    Efficient - occassionally.
    Crime free - definitely not. (admitedly much of the crime seems, according to the newspapers at least, to be immigrant based. The rags are often telling tales of African drug smuggling, pimping, etc.)
    Fantasist. Much of what does work has roots in the empire! Asia is a big place with many countries, including Burma and Pakistan! If you think the UK should be more like Pakistan, go get a job there and enjoy yourself. Personally I think it's a shothile.

8. Going from the trolling post Buttles makes in the Unemployed forum he/she lives in India. However going on the comments of Asia being crime free and efficient I would say they live in a very expat bubble or have a very blinkered view of real life of many of the world's population. I once worked with an Aussie guy in Indonesia who regularly used to make comments like 'only 10% of Indonesian's were poor' and other equally naive/far from the mark comments. This guy definitely lived in some kind of bubble he was late 30's so age wasn't even an excuse for his naivety.

9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

WE ARE THE BABUS

Soak the rich and harry the poor,
    That's our motto and our law;
    We are the rulers of this land,
    We are the babus, a merry band.
    Under the table, or through the back door,
    We'll empty your pockets and ask for more!
    We are the babus, this is our law -
    Soak the rich and harry the poor!

by Ruskin Bond

10. Buttles

Buttles New commenter

Hmmm.
    Well, I have just walked around the streets of Singers at night (once again) practically inviting a mugging without success.
    I love the courtesy and efficiency of the Singaporeans.
    I am finding Singers much cheaper (and better quality) than UK or Australia.
    What I love about the Singers is that they have a sovereign wealth fund of around $173 billion unlike the bankrupt, idle British **** who accuse me of fantasy.

11. I work in Singapore at an international school. I've done about 12 years here. The money is good. Its safe, clean(ish) and you can have a nice life. I love my school, but wish it were somewhere with a more liveable climate - saying that - many who come here love the humidity...My wife is Singaporean so I get closer to the local culture than many. Our daughter enjoys attending the same school I work at. Singapore has it's perks - low tax (direct) and a great airport which makes escaping to Thailand, Indonesia and elsewhere easy. But there are some downsides - the air quality is worsening, due to Indonesia & Malaysia's relentless burning of their forests, the prices go up and up and up - accomodation is expensive unless you go local (which I did quite happily and SAVED), most expats here refuse and pay the financial cost - ie 3 bedroom HDB (local apartment) rents out for around S$2000 per month max, whereas a 3 bedroom condo with facilities rents at about S$3500 plus depending on location. Transport is easy, not necessarily cheap. I buy beers locally, its stupid to waste hours crossing the causeway and risk being fined.

Overall, Sg is a great place, but lacks in culture & human warmth. Hope you enjoy your time here! I wonder which school you're going to?

12. Hi Guys
    how are you finding singapore? Im due to move over in july to work at one of the international schools so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

13. Any advide for getting employed by an international school in Singapore? I would love to get offered a post there but have found very few openings. Any insider tips??

14. U really don't know much about Singapore, do u? It's everything opposite to what u said, with corruptions and dictatorship.

15. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Great place, awful climate. Crime isn't too bad from what I heard from the locals, beer depends on where you get it and there are parts of the city I felt very safe, parts I felt worried about. The food in the hawker markets is cheap and good, the supermarkets are reasonable but the smoke from Indonesia was not fun at all.

Finally, Changi is the finest airport in the world

16. ...

And how long have you lived in Singapore to be able to make such a claim? I have lived in SG for a while now and would concur with most of what Intleducator said. I have also lived in Cambodia and Vietnam. Now THOSE are places riddled with corruption and dictatorship.