1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Singapore move: HDB or condos and why?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MsBunnell, Feb 24, 2020.

1. MsBunnell

MsBunnell New commenter

hello again, I just recently accepted a position in Singapore and with it comes a housing allowance. Was trawling through listings and there seems to be a difference between HDBs and condo rentals. For those who have lived in Singapore, what is your preference? Initially, I am looking to moving closer to the school (Bukit Batok area) but am amenable to a short commute. Any help will be appreciated.

2. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

HDBs are mainly owned by (and lived in by) Singaporean residents. You will see greater diversity in race in condos. Condos have more facilities - security, pools, playgrounds, gyms, BBQ pits. Most HDBS have none of these but often do have the added bonus of being above a selection of locally-owned shops. If you have a family, then I strongly recommend a condo for the facilities, but if it's you, and you're not much of a swimmer, a HDB is a great way to pocket a bit of extra cash. I live close to the area you are talking about and am happy to recommend more specific locations. Just give a shout.

3. kpjf

kpjf Occasional commenter

Migratingbird, from looking online (at least on one rental site) the HDBs seemed to be fairly old looking, is that usually the case? Some I looked at seemed very spacious for the price, but not the prettiest!

4. Bythesea123

Bythesea123 New commenter

HDBs are rarely occupied by expats. They're fine but have no facilities , condo life is much nicer in my opinion especially if you like a pool and/or a gym.
    I know a lot of people in your school and they pretty much all live in J-Gateway condo or around Beauty World area. It's quite reasonably priced around there you should be able to find something good for your allowance.