1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Singapore cost of living

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by minipixie1, Jan 8, 2019.

1. minipixie1

minipixie1 New commenter

I have been contacted to interview for a teaching job in Singapore. I have been teaching for 5 years. I will be going with 2 school aged kids and my husband who does not teach and will probably not work. Can anybody give me an idea on cost of living, what do I need to consider that is not mentioned (e.g tax) and how is Singapore for pets, we have a dog, my kids would not leave without him. Also, did you ship your goods, how much did this cost?

Thank you in advance

2. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

I've been in SIngapore for over 4 years, have 1 school aged child, 1 in nursery, and a non-working spouse. I'll start a conversation with you so we can chat.

3. flightless-bird

flightless-bird New commenter

I'm in a similar situation. I lived in Singapore some years ago, and it looks like rents have barely moved, but I'm very nervous about negotiating a reasonable package... Any help or advice would be welcome!

minipixie1 likes this.
  4. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

COnversation started :)

flightless-bird likes this.
  5. mercutio672

mercutio672 New commenter

Following this. Just had an interview...probably for the same job :). I have two children too. I was told there was a tax on the 'free school places' - any ideas as to how much that would be. I am working out the finances should the offer come knocking...

6. 576

576 Established commenter

This wasn't in Singapore but in my last school it was a 'taxable benefit' so you had to pay the rate of tax on it.
    Singapore's highest tax rate is 22% so assuming the system is the same you would pay 22% of the fees.
    Could be a different system though.