1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sing Up costs

Discussion in 'Music' started by bod99, Jan 18, 2012.

1. bod99

bod99 New commenter

Any reaction from others? It seems to me that if they'd kept the price down, they'd get far more subscriptions. I guess their research backs their pricing?

2. bod99

bod99 New commenter

Any reaction from others? It seems to me that if they'd kept the price down, they'd get far more subscriptions. I guess their research backs their pricing?

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

I only ever used it as an easy place to look for a song if I couldn't find it elsewhere. I run a little community children's choir so even a tenner would be too much for us. To be honest I have so much music of my own, and there's so much available for free on the web, or cheap in charity shops and so on, that it won't be a great loss. I hated the glossy magazine - it just felt like a huge waste of money. I can see they have to charge but they don't have anything that's remoteley worth that sort of money. And I really, really hate educational organisations who are too stupid to put capital letters in their name!

4. That's way too expensive for me - I'm secondary and use it to do joint songs with our primaries. Methinks they'll all be withdrawing their subscriptions as well as they're all short of money. If it was cheaper I would subscribe as it's a good source of singing material for my year 7s and 8s, but for what I use it £250 (almost certainly due to the size of our school) and paying for additional downloads would be too much of my budget. Looks like from the comments on the site so far, that others agree.

5. portugirl

portugirl New commenter

And how about if we all pool our resources? Many of us must have quite a few singup downloads (mp3s and sheet music) that we could share? Would that be infringement of copyright if all the resources are 'free' until April? I', guessing the answer is yes and am waiting to be shot down for suggesting it!

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

There's an interesting comment on the website from someone suggesting that as the government have already funded the songs in the songbank so far, with tax payers' money (i.e. our money) then these should remain free and subsciption should be for new material. I think this is a very valid point.
    IMO the cost is excessive - I can't see many schools finding that sort of money. Such a shame.

7. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I use Sing Up a lot, but there is no way I will be able to continue now.[​IMG]

8. There is no way I will be able to continue either...my music budget is £0....I do music covering PPA and each class teacher gets a budget for their class...if I want any music stuff I have to beg them to get it...which they don't like doing. i will never get enough for this.......

9. teachandtravel

teachandtravel New commenter

Hi,
    I have loads of singup resources we could do a swap!?

10. bod99

bod99 New commenter

You could, but that would be illegal. Sing Up could sue you (apparently).

11. So it's back to OUP for voiceworks . I was looking through the range - it's pretty good. For £30 you get 30 songs and a CD - buy a book a year and build up the Library!
    I also use Singing Matters which is a bt more expensive but has additional resources included.
    It's all a lot cheaper than the SING UP Web Site.
    The great thing is that, with just a little skill, you can take a unison song and add in some harmony yourself and it's an improved resource.
    I think they were hoping that once they had us all hooked we would be unable to break the habit!

12. bod99

bod99 New commenter

For primary go out and buy Singing Sherlock (all 4 books) or anything by Sarah Watts (her big blue songbook is immense). Wide variety and nicely presented.

13. Apparently Out of the ark music have a new download site coming in January that you just pay for the songs you want with no subscription. Bit of competition then for Sing up...

14. yeah, i was really annoyed when I felt the costs stopped me from using the site,. i would be insteresteed to know how well sing up are doing with it.