1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SIMS codes/user guide

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Fresa82, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Fresa82

Fresa82 New commenter

Hello,

After trainees not being allowed to use Sims in my training schools, I feel I am somewhat lacking in my knowledge of how to use sims. Does anyone know anywhere where I can find:

-a list of the codes and what they mean
    -a online training doc

I've done a Google search, but it hasn't come up with anything meaningful. I know that a / is for present for the register. Is N absent? Are there any other codes I would need to input - I've seen that there are some that I don't seem to be able to overwrite.

I aprreciate it might be a bit strange asking these questions on here, but I haven't met my NQT mentor yet and due to Covid all of the staff are changing rooms every lesson, meaning that I have only seen my HOD once so far!

TIA :)

2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

agathamorse and Fresa82 like this.
  3. Fresa82

Fresa82 New commenter

This is amazing, thank you!!!

agathamorse likes this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

We are primary and only have to mark who is in school before we save register, office staff add in other codes.

5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

At one of my schools, the slash went forwards in the morning (/) and backwards in the afternoon (\)! So, ask your mentor what's expected.

The reason why you can't overwrite some codes is because the office input them, and they have more info than you.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

It will be fairly straightforward, and there is a drop down list of codes that you can check if in doubt. As SIMS is almost ubiquitous, I’m surprised that people aren’t given more training when they join a school (there’s far more information on there than just the register), and I’m surprised you weren’t allowed to using it whilst training.

7. JJ83

JJ83 Occasional commenter

SIMS is super easy to use - as soon as you have a login get someone to sit with you for 5 mins and you will soon pick it up
    Good Luck!

8. 43Meadows

43Meadows New commenter

As above / \ means present, N is not in, reason not known. That is pretty much all you need to concern yourself with.

if you do put I for illness it should only be if you sent the child home I’ll or their parent spoke to you and told you. You would need to put a note in the comment, same for M medical but only if you have seen the evidence.

As it is usually the office who take calls I would say don’t create work for yourself. Stick to / \ or N.

peter12171 and agathamorse like this.
  9. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Ask the data manager. If they are any good they will have handouts or online guides. And ask whoever is in charge of staff development: they should be able to fix training.