1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SIMS as a markbook

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by rich_hodgetts, May 23, 2019.

1. rich_hodgetts

rich_hodgetts New commenter

Does anyone know (or even use) if SIMS can be used as a teacher markbook? We already use SIMS to record key assessment data and hence to monitor student progress however teachers have no control over the layout of their classes sims marksheet. Is it possible for a class teacher to be given control over adding columns to record more routine assessment data, homework and other bits and pieces?

If not does anyone use a schoolwide 'electronic markbook' system in parallel with SIMS?

Thanks

Rich

2. sckinsley

sckinsley New commenter

Hi Rich,

There are methods to do this, but it does mean that the teachers within subject areas have to work together to decide and agree what their needs are (Bit like herding cats I'm afraid). Giving individual teachers control can be very problematic, however there is no reason why HoD/Subject leader should not have this ability providing suitable training is given. This would ensure consistency and standardization, allowing of movements of students between groups if necessary.

Sims does allow calculations so it would be possible to get an overall view providing it is set up correctly. A lot of hard work I am afraid but it is doable.

Good Luck

Steve

3. rich_hodgetts

rich_hodgetts New commenter

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response. I feared that it might be quite complex. What I would really like is a SIMS marksheet where some columns are common to all teachers in the department and others are 'local' and seen by that teacher only (routine stuff like homework recording etc). I doesn't look like SIMS can really offer this unfortunately.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

This function is available in other competitor products.