1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SIMS access

Discussion in 'Governors' started by neddyfonk, Jul 26, 2016.

1. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

What do you think you will find out from SIMS?

2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

The same as everyone else that has access - information. Not much different from going on a learning walk and seeing how good handwriting, spelling, grammar and artistic abilities are displayed on the walls but without having to ask anyone for their time.

3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

you have been asked several times, but seem unable to suggest what information from SIMS a governor really needs?

4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

You really have to believe us!
    Access to SIMS will NOT help you to carry out your role as governor at all.
    What information do you want access to?

5. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

If you leave can the school replace you with a governor with the same skill set? Surely the governors role is NOT to help the school muddle through a little better in the short term, but to set the school up to thrive in the long term. To do that the school cannot rely on having governors with specific skill sets who are willing to give up their time for free.

The governors, assuming the majority of the BoG share your opinion, should be getting the Head and SMT to look why the SIPs are inadequate, and ensuring future planning is of an acceptable standard.

Sounds like poorly organised meetings, key documents should be circulated in advance of a meeting, or the item should be for information and revisited at a future meeting, If that is not the case, why not.

If all of the above is taken as true then it does indicate a school/Headmaster and a Board of Governors that could have a more effective relationship, but I do not see how giving Governors more access to detailed information is going to provide a long term solution or even help with any of those problems.

6. rachelrees

rachelrees New commenter

Unless you hold QTS status you should not be going on a 'learning walk'. Teaching unions are clear that only individuals with QTS can carry out observations and this includes learning walks.

7. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2016
  8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

9. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

It's true though HBF.

10. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

No, it's vile and you should know better.

11. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Sorry - not true on all counts. A learning walk is a standard part of induction for most governors and a widely recommended activity. Observations can be undertaken by governors providing there is a stated purpose which cannot be to assess teaching quality. NQTs that are being mentored need to observe good teaching in order to understand what it looks like before they reach QTS.
    It is quite likely that teaching unions issue diktats about how they think things should be done in schools, but like pay scale related issues, they are often ignored (fact).

12. Stevenj88

Stevenj88 New commenter

NQTs already have QTS. This is achieved through completion of teacher training. The NQT year is supposed to allow NQTs the opportunity to develop and improve their craft with the support of a school but they do have QTS.

Learning walks should only be carried out by those with QTS because as somebody who has not completed teacher training or carried out any pedagogical research you should not be making judgements about somebodys teaching.

13. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Academic point - All the learning walks I have been on were organised and led by the head, One of the governing bodies I sit on recently had to select a school that was suitable to support us getting out of 'requires improvement' and we went on learning walks in 4 schools in order to decide by voting which one best suited our needs.
    I also observe a year group ( once a term ) with a specific emphasis on such things as behaviour, vocabulary and use of resources. Added to this I had a stall at the summer fayre, talked to parents on parents evening, greeted the new intake, videoed nativity and put on DVD for sale, had christmas dinner with the pupils and made an assessment of IT provision.

14. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I would change your term learning walk to visit.

jarndyce likes this.
  15. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

Similarly and for much the same reasons, access to the school data should also be organised and led by the Head.

16. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

I don't have remote access to SIMS, I can only use it when logged on to the school server - and I'm a senior manager!

17. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

One of the schools I am a governor at decided to use thin client technology which makes remote access a good deal easier. No doubt some are thinking about hosting SIMS in the cloud which will make remote access 'the norm' although I would not trust cloud providers security as far as I could throw a pregnant donkey.