1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Simply can't balance this one....

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Waterfin, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Today we sat looking through the 20 action points that the minister (Wales...can't remember his name) wants implemented in education.
    One was that they are looking at more rigorously ensuring that teachers have sufficient numeracy and literacy skills by testing them
    Another was that they are looking at making the route into teaching a masters only route. Acquire a degree first, then undertake a two years master to receive your teaching qualification.
    This is at the same time that classroom assistants are recruited from parent helpers (not in itself a problem, but not good if no training then follows to help them learn to do their job really well)...
    ...And at a time when many classes are not taught by teachers at all when supply is required (or PPA cover in my school's case on a weekly basis)
    Doesn't add up in my opinion.

2. Yep but it makes a good news story for a politician.
    More stringent quals for teachers (sounds great)
    Let anyone in through the back door (don't mention it)
    adds up pretty well

3. To quote Michael Gove "We will not set overly stringent requirements for qualifications for teachers" I may have got the wording slightly wrong so I must double check sometime when I get the chance but to me that means a lower standard of qualifications needed for teachers. This was in answer to a question about qualifications needed to teach in free schools.

4. historygrump

historygrump Occasional commenter Forum guide

Was this from the same Michael Gove who said that anyone going into teaching must have a 2:1 and that teacher training need to be improved, because some teachers are not up to the job, despite the government own organisations saying that the standard of teachers was the best ever. Is this the same Michael Gove, who said that he wants bankers and soldiers to undergo a 6 week course to become teachers because this would improve the standards, compared to the 4 years (i.e. 3 years degree and 1 year pgce or 4 years teacher training). How many soldiers have a degree? so is suggesting the idea of reducing the requirements set out by him to allow soldiers and bankers to enter the overcrowded teaching profession or is he just talking bol locks like all politicians.