1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Simple teaching of when to put a full stop.....

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lo77ee, Mar 11, 2012.

1. I have a small group of Year 3 boys in my class and no matter how hard I try I cannot seem to get to successfully teach them where to put full stops because they just don't see where there end of the sentence is!
    Does anyone have any quick magical solutions to help me with this that I haven't thought about???
    Many thanks in advance

2. I have a small group of Year 3 boys in my class and no matter how hard I try I cannot seem to get to successfully teach them where to put full stops because they just don't see where there end of the sentence is!
    Does anyone have any quick magical solutions to help me with this that I haven't thought about???
    Many thanks in advance

3. Hi Lo77ee,
    I have the same problem with my year 4s! I went on an Alan Peat course recently and he said to get children to make up or retell stories a sentence at a time so they will get used to hearing where a sentence ends. I also looked on tes forum in search box and an old thread suggested going back to basics with what a sentence needs - a noun and verb - or using colour for sentences when writing - swap colour for each new sentence.
    Would be glad to hear any other suggestions however!

4. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I do all of the above and then also lots of reading of sentences, stopping after each word and asking if it make sense. I also do kung fu punctuation.

5. abnewt

abnewt New commenter

I don't think there are any quick magical solutions..... just the drip, drip effect- little and often. Keep using kung fu punctuation and try teaching them the 'tune' of sentences by reading unpunctuated texts. I used to get the children to clap where they thought a full stop should go. If they've done some writing, get them to swap their work with a partner and get their partner to read the text out loud to them. This sometimes helps. I teach Year 6 and some of my children still don't know when to use a full stop accurately!!!!

6. My teaching partner had a good idea: She uses three different colour pens in their writing. (Low ability Yr6). Everytime they wanted to say something 'new' they used a different colour pen. They seemed to respond to this well.