1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Simple, old fashioned recipes

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Having polished off a huge helping of Pan Haggerty, it got me ambitious to spend the rest of the month cooking nothing fancy, but old favourites from my childhood and youthful (*sigh*) years.
    So Pan Haggerty it was today.
    I am planning on panackalty next week, to use up the weekend's left over meat.
    Corned beef hash.
    Veg barley soup.
    Mince, onions and tatties.
    Toad in the hole.
    Bangers and mash.
    Potato waffles (when I can find a recipe!) with beans and fried egg.
    Colcannon.
    Cheese and potato pie.

Any more ideas? I am sure I have forgotten loads. Especially veggie ones, as most of my childhood food had some kind of meat in it (leave the veg, CQ, if you must, but eat the meat, it cost MONEY).

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I love the idea of cooking traditional, simple meals but getting them as near-perfect as possible. I've been tinkering with the mince element of my shepherd's pie lately, and I think I've hit as near-perfect as I can get (my secret ingredient - fish sauce! Sounds odd, but it adds a great depth of flavour. Think how anchovies can compliment lamb!).
    Shepherd's or Cottage pie
    Mince and onion pie
    Fish pie
    Sausage pie
    Steak and kidney pie (okay, enough pies for now!)
    French onion soup
    Mutton or lamb broth
    Prawn cocktail (stop sniggering at the back - there's nothing wrong with a well-made prawn cocktail!)
    Kedgeree
    Beef stroganoff
    Cream of mushroom soup
    Leek and potato soup
    Lancashire hotpot
    Sausage casserole

Okay, not all of those are traditionally British, but they've all been part of British food for decades now, so I'd say they're allowed. I'll think of some more later.

3. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Stovies! (see coffeekid's Dustin Hoffman link on 'Personal' - v funny).
    Bubble & squeak
    Macaroni cheese
    Sausage casserole
    Savoury bread & butter pudding

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Ahhh, good one manashee!

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Aaah, I've obviously missed a trick! [​IMG]

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Some truly yummy ideas so far...I love savoury bread and butter pudding!

I'll add:
    A soft boiled egg with toastie soldiers. (Marmite on the soldiers is optional, but I'm a fan!)
    Baked Egg.
    Mustard Baked Rabbit (Coat rabbit in prepared mustard, and roast it...so simple and tasty...why doesn't it appear on more menus?)
    Freshly baked bread (The end slice whatever you choose to call it) with real butter and homemade gooseberry jam.
    Dripping Toast
    Curry Puffs (Breville toastie with curried mince filling)
    Fresh sardines, grilled
    Mashed potato, swede and bacon (bacon must be a little fatty and the fat poured over the swedes)
    Potato, runny egg and spinnach
    Mincemeat cobbler - especially as made by my primary school dinner lady!

7. Ohhhhhhhh, now my mouth is watering - cept we can't get swede here.
    But guess where I am over Easter [​IMG]

8. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

This is a great thread! Great additions, Bethannie.
    A few more:
    Mulligatawny soup
    Smoked haddock with a poached egg
    Coronation chicken (done well - great; done poorly - an atrocity!)
    Jam roly-poly
    Steamed syrup suet sponge with custard
    Boiled bacon and pease pudding

9. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I've ruffled a few feathers on the forum in the past with my "get it from the supermarket and pass it off as your own" style of dessert cooking, so I'll try not to do it on this thread as well!

10. ROFLMAO.
    Perhaps only Beth and I may get this - Dinner for One?

11. ach, geddaway.
    Everyone knows here I am no baker. I can bake - but I have no qualms admitting to buying cake from the bakers or a frozen item.
    I am a foodie - not a matyr!

12. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Round here, we call that a 'finnan haddock' and we poach the fish in milk and then drop the egg in!
    My mum was an amazing cook but I miss her simple meals the most - macaroni cheese (I'll never, ever make a macaroni cheese like my mum's), corned beef hash, finnan haddock and home made soup (her fresh tomato soup was to die for). She also baked her own bread and rolls. *sigh*
    One thing she used to make, which was cheap, simple and required no effort whatsoever, was tuna fish pie. From memory, she used to mix a large tin of spaghetti with a tin of tuna in oil (drained) and cover the bottom of a small (2 pint) casserole dish with the mixture. Then she'd cover it with buttery mashed potato, mixed with a bit of grated cheese an bake in the oven till hot and the top a little crispy. So, so tasty.

13. Ach, manashee, this had me reminiscing. My Mum was so scrapped for cash, she had to invent meals - we had the most amazing concontions, but they were yummy.
    We only lived 5 doors away from Grandma, but my Mum was determined - she would feed us and she would not beg. We did, of course, eat at Grandma's too - (but Mum insisted on paying her way) and at Grandma's we got "proper food" - the traditional stuff, which Grandma also taught me to cook.
    But your post made me realise - my Mum - who HATED cooking - she really taught me to cook. She was the one who taught me to adapt, improvise and make a big meal out of nowt. Cos she was skint. But she was adament we wouldn't starve and we wouldn't eat junk and that SHE, no matter what, would put food on our plates.
    She was more stubborn than me - I am more lenient. My kids have *shock* been to a McD. My mother would have spat at the door of McD and we would not have been allowed inside (this was not an issue, because there was no McD in our town even as I left for uni).

14. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Mums are the best, aren't they? My mum still has never eaten a McD and I was a McD virgin until my mid twenties (ish).
    My pal, Diane could also make something out of nothing. She lived in Hornsey Rise in north London and I used to drive down to visit her and kipped on her bedroom floor (I didn't have a bad back in those days!).
    We spent all our money on wine and had no money left for food and she knocked together the most amazing pasta concoction in a frying pan, from bits and bobs in her fridge.
    Life was so much more fun then.

15. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Quite possibly, as it's lost on me, CQ [​IMG]
    I like mulligatawny soup - home-made that is, not the tinned Campbell's stuff!

16. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I know, CQ, my tongue was firmly in cheek when mentioning ruffled feathers. [​IMG]

17. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

'Dinner for One' is a British comedy sketch that is very-well known in Germany. It gets shown every New Years Eve on multiple channels. (Apparantly other countries love it too!)
    An old woman is having a celebratory dinner (her 90th birthday?) and as all her friends have passed on, her butler moves round the table acting as each guest. The first course is Muligatawny soup - with sherry to drink.
    There's nothing quite like visiting a German home, and having the whole family weeping with laughter at this sketch, whilst you sit there stony faced trying hard to work out what is so hysterical! I just don't 'get' it.

18. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Oh, and talking through some of these yummy ideas with Mum, she got rather excited and demanded I put in one of her favourites...

Potatoes with Muckefuck gravy!
    (apparantly it is potatoes boiled in their skins - drain them and then peel the potatoes putting the skins back into the pan to dry out. You then make a gravy from onions and Muckefuck - which is a sort of ersatzkaffee - and then you take the potato skins and flake them and use them as flour to make a sort of dry biscuit!)

Mum's voice was all dreamy...I am now expecting her to ask me to 'look on-line for a good form of ersatzkaffee would you!'....

19. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I'm just pleased no-one has mentioned that classic hors d'œuvre of 70s and 80s British restaurant dining:
    The Melon Boat!
    These being the days when a glass of orange juice was also commonly offered as a starter! In fact, virtually every hotel restaurant had exactly the same 5 options for starters - the melon boat (complete with glacé cherry), prawn cocktail, pâté with brown toast, cream of tomato soup or a glass of orange juice...

20. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

the 70s and 80s? ....I used to be part of the catering team at a large Church.It's only something like 3 or 4 years ago that we did a Christmas Lunch for OAPs
    The choice of starters were:
    Tomato Soup
    Orange Juice
    Melon Boat

My task was making the melon boats! And yes, the had a cherry and a 'tasteful' sail made from a twirled slice of orange!