1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Simple money saving ideas?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eggnchips, Apr 5, 2012.

1. At one point, my school as part of their Work/Life Balance programme was looking to do that! Tesco Online orders, to be delivered to school, divided up, then at the end of the day you took your shopping home! I know that some of the Head's PA's/Bursars etc that I've worked with in schools would do this really well and 'dragon' everyone into paying and making sure it's fair!

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Ooh, if your daughters are young enough, you could use the swiss rolls to make them a caterpillar birthday cake!

3. I have taken it even further, I use old clothes and curtains to make household soft furnishings. I have even managed to get Christmas presents out of it. My mothers Mother's Day present was made with pieces from old childrens clothes and the reduced ready made cushions from the supermarket, cheaper than getting them from a fabric shop, got two cushions for £3, it is £4 for the pads in the fabric shops.
    I tend to use the basic range for most things and use them to get the basic and it is alot cheaper, lidi and aldi is great for cheap fruit and veg, morrisons is also good for cheap fruit and veg. Going to the supermarkets at the end of the day is a good way to get cheap meat and bread that can be frozen for use later in the month.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I have a Makro card but the wholesale cost of things like loo roll, detergent and even most food items is more than the ebst offers in ordinary stores.
    makro is amazing at the moment for compost. 100 litre bags are £5.99 + vat and it's on a BOGOF dea so I have 4 bags of it. That's 3.6 per litre when vat is added, equivalent to 72 for a 20 litre bag that would cost nearer £2 in the shops. Offer last until 17th April.
    I get washing up liquid from Aldi. It's so cheap and has won awards for qualify and price.
    I stockpile loo roll whe on special offer. I used to limit myself to no more than £1 per 4 pack of a good paper but will now fork out up to £1.15. I have loads in at the moment after a special offer at Morrisons a few weeks ago.
    I get lots of BOGOF deals, even with perishables. I always look at dates on perishable food and select the ones that will last longer; it's one reason why I don't shop for food on-line, another being the delivery charge.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Why did my brain finish that sentence so it read '.. no more than one sheet at a time....' :p

6. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I'd say that the dried mince and chunks are pretty awful. I used them a lot as an impoverished student, and for a few years afterwards when I had a very badly paid job, and was sharing a house with friends who were equally hard up. But I wouldn't go back to them.
    Frozen soya mince, on the other hand, is fine. I haven't tried quorn mince (I'm vegan, and quorn isn't), but imagine that it's pretty similar. I've served it to plenty of meat eaters without complaint - and I don't think they were just being polite!

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

LOL!
    One and a half sheets, I'll have you know. It is quite fiddly peeling the second sheet apart though!

8. Some more ideas....
    Always use own brand bath cream as liquid soap and top it up with water. Much cheaper! Do the same for own brand shampoo and conditioner.
    Always take a picnic on a family outing.
    Buy pick and mix sweets for the cinema in W H Smith before going into the cinema. The difference in price can be anything up to £2!
    I spend 1 hour on Saturday morning buying fruit and veg from the local market. If I go late they often give me bargains like 3 cucumbers which I then share with the rest of the family. I then cook and freeze meals for the week on Saturday afternoon. I like being organised as well as saving money!
    Make an ice cream sized container of humous, divide into small pots and freeze. Much cheaper than supermarket versions. Tastes better too!
    Making own bread and freezing it is much cheaper than buying it. You don't need a bread maker.
    Never go shopping with a child. You will always buy more than you and( they) need.
    I have a present drawer for birthdays and Christmas. I make a lot of things to go in it but I also add anything that I find on offer throughout the year. I have managed to save over £500 one year!
    Stockpile anything that wont go off loo paper, bleach, tissues, kitchen roll, tins etc. Find them all on special offer.
    I buy de icer in the Summer. Last year I bought it at less than half price and it has lasted me all Winter.
    Hope some of these ideas are helpful!

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Ditto!
    I used to buy all my children's presents (and their cousins' + presents for birthday parties) in the january sales. You can do that when the children are young and you can work out what sort of toy they will be ready for in 6 months or a year's time.
    I put in gifts that I receive but am unlikely to use and those get re-cycled to someone unconnected who I know will appreciate it or goes to charity tobolas etc.

10. Don't buy anything.

11. Last week I asked the butcher for bones for the dog. He gave me about 5 huge ribs of beef - there was so much meat on them that the dog got a runny tummy!! (I wasn't sure if he should have it raw, he hasn't had raw meat before, so I roated the bones when we did our leg of lamb.) It did cross my mind that you could make a lovely stock from them, or even a stew if you trimmed all the meat scraps off. Which would have been better for the dog as well.

12. There's a lot of batch cooking, dividing up and freezing going on - can you do this with any type of meal? Indian and italian meals are my fave :)

13. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Sure you can!
    Make a huge batch of basic meat ragu....freeze in portions....it's easy to add a few herbs/spices when it defrosts and you have spag bol sauce...base for cottage pie.....chillie con carne...all from the same base.
    And always make a huge vat of curry - it freezes beautifully and tastes great when defrosted.

14. henriette

henriette New commenter

yes, but cooked pasta doesn't freeze well - it continues to absorb moisture during the cooling down period and goes spongy - undercook it if you are doing it to freeze.
    Likewise, rice: you have to under cook it, cool it quickly and then freeze as you<u> HAVE</u> to reheat it thoroughly afterwards and at this stage it overcooks very easily.

15. Take a look aroundyour local - how to say this in a PC way ............ - er ethnic minority shops. (still doesn't sound PC)
    Veg is always fresh and much cheaper at the Indian green grocer, mangoes come in various types and are half supermarket prices.
    Next door is the sweet centre with samosas at 25p each and free chutney to go with them. My favorite sweet centre also sells portions of cold curry - you just take it home and reheat it into a takeaway for half the price.

If you have space in your freezer and cannot afford to fill it either buy cheap bread or put folded newspaper in - a full freezer is cheaper to run.

16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You could also run cold water over any fully cooked pasta that you won't be using immediately. This stopps the cooking process and makes the pasta more suitable for pasta salads and for freezing/reheating in sauces.

17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Very true. You can also fill a drawer with hardly any extra weight by using blocks of polystyrene saved from the packaging of larger appliances.
    I use the polystyrene from washing machine/fridge purchases to line the base of my mini greenhouses in March when I start my salad, courgette and other seeds, to protect against any late frosts and cold draughts.

18. Ebay for clothes would be my tip. I buy quality brands for some children's items - winter coats, for instance - and for some workwear for me. It's amazing how often you can find the things you coveted in the shops last year, unworn, on eBay, for a fraction of the price, or expensive brand items bought for children that have been bought, put away, then never worn because the child has grown in the meantime.
    Better quality children's clothes last longer & can be passed on to siblings or friends or even re-sold. If the items don't fit or you change your mind, simply re-sell them.
    Hunting for items can be time-consuming, but you can set up searches by brand & size to do the job for you.
    Also have a proper sort out of your own wardrobe - be ruthless & sell things that are in excellent condition but you simply no longer wear.