1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Simple money saving ideas?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eggnchips, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Yet again I am trying to batter my spending into submission. Has anybody got any basic money saving tips? Don't need a graph or a chart just something concrete that works.

See below for silly answers.

2. That sounds a very sensible way to go about things Pobble. It's amazing how little bits mount up.
    OH saves all his 50p coins..and even barters for them at work when people buy their papers or coffee etc. Every month he puts at least £15 in his BS account...all in 50 pence pieces! He doesn't miss it. I have started saving coins too He says that's holiday spending money. ...I have a jar in my bedroom and do a purse clear out every night...putting all the brown coins in one place and 50 pence pieces in a jar. Look after the pennies etc...I don't save as much as he does this way, but it all adds up and makes me more aware of just how much I do have in my purse.
    I also take out an allotted amount of money from the cash machine each week, and live on that and no more. When it's gone, that's it...horns have to be drawn in. I ensure all the food basics are in the cupboard and can always rustle up a pasta dish or do a million and one things with eggs!
    I am very lucky in that I have a social life which is mostly funded by him, the worker, but he remembers how generous I was and how I insisted on paying a fair share of everything when I worked. We don't go mad...and have found some lovely country pubs that do 2 for 1 meal deals etc. I look out for special offers on line too - free exhibitions, reduced entrance fees or half price theatre matinees etc. (I think it is important to have SOME fun...)
    I use Pound Land now for most cleaning materials and save a fortune.
    I go to Lidl for salad items and vegetables...and it's pick your own, so the quality is fine. Eight bananas in Lidl...all unbruised and slightly tinged with green skins (just as I like them) so they'll ripen at home...71p. The same in Morrisons? £1.35.
    I read papers online..same with magazines. I turn the heating on and off manually too...it's only on when we really need it.
    I don't buy clothes any more...because I have LOADS of them! I am slowly sorting through my wardrobe and putting outfits together. (I used to be tempted to buy T shirts here and there...or ballerina pumps etc..).I can easily not be tempted now. I use up what I have. I have also started buying black underwear..all plain stuff...no frilly bits...and that can be mixed, matched and never goes slightly grey like white underwear does after some use.
    For treats - if I NEED a treat (and sometimes I have the urge...I used to love shopping) I buy a lipstick, a pot of nail-varnish or some cheap and snazzy costume jewellery <u>if</u> it's been reduced. I really don't miss making big spends any more. It's quite fun living on a budget and eeking it out. Charity shops can be good places to browse...and I curb my spending there too..but if I fancy a different CD there'll usually be something I quite fancy...for &pound;1. (Having eclectic taste helps!) Same for books.I have also bought naff pictures for their lovely frames...and frame my own stuff.
    I have learnt the hard way too that it is really important to have a safety net of funds. I thought I'd return to work once retired but that didn't happen ..illness did...and the savings were eaten up. That's scarey...so do try to save...even if it's only tiny amounts.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Go to the supermarket - Lidl or wherever - AFTER eating, not before.
    It's true that feeling hungry makes you pick up things not on your list.
    Well, it's true for me , anyway. [​IMG]
    Best wishes

4. I pay for most things on my card and don't draw any money out of the bank unless it's vital. I take a packed lunch to work with me every day and by not having 'real money' on me I'm less tempted to waste lots of money in the college vending machine. This saves me a fortune as I'd easily buy at least two chocolate bars and drink a bottle of pop each day if I had the money on me.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've been doing that for the last year and found it made a huge difference. Even buying odds and ends for my daughter I still only spend &pound;30 a week.
    I make big pots of soup (invested in Covent Garden soup recipe book) and freeze it in a variety of portion sizes so that I've always got just the right amount for me or for visitors.
    I buy smart price alternatives for a lot of things, though I do find them a false economy for a few key items.
    I came by some extra money recently; quite a substantial sum...I gave myself a one month "spree" (which is nearly up) but found that I'm so much in the habit of being frugal that I haven't really spent as much as I thought I might or as much as I could if I wanted. Once the month is up I'm going back to normal budgeting and the bulk of the money is in a savings account.
    look for ways you're spending money you don't need to...have you got a tv package with sky/virgin? Reduce it to basics or get a freeview box. Check you have the best deal available for mobile phone etc (I know some will say they're luxuries but you can go too far!).
    Grow your own herbs (scrounge cuttings or grow from seeds). A few wee tomato plants or strawberries in pots will save you a few pounds too.

6. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg New commenter

Go on mysupermarket.com You can compare prices and find out special offers. If you have any spare cash it is worth trying to buy extra on special offers.
    I have enough tins of Branston Beans to take us through the apocalypse and the repopulation of the planet. (And teabags, oh and shower gel, deodorant, tinned tomatoes, ....)
    Try and use your freezer. Meal planning will really help you stop wasting food.
    Martin Lewis website is great. The Old style forum is very useful for cheap, nutritious recipes. I love it. Food shopping forum - people alert you to decent offers at the shops. Also there are threads that highlight money off coupons that can be printed off at home and used.
    Look for yellow sticker reduced stuff. Also be careful because the smarts / basics range can actually be more expensive when a brand is on special offer.
    My partner has been in and out of work for two years now and we are surviving because of advice from the nice people on that forum.
    Hope this helps - Just going to check stocks in the apocolypse cupboard.
    Best wishes.

7. I've started doing my grocery shopping on line. I find I'm less likely to make impulse purchases. I set myself a limit of &pound;80 (for 4 of us) and if the total gets above this amount I just go back through my purchases and delete anything I can manage without.
    During the holidays I work differently. I set myself a daily budget. This includes food and entertainment. I used to find the school holidays expensive as we all have an "eating out weakness." My kids are aware of my budget and realise that we can either go to the cinema or have lunch out - not both, and only very infrequently.
    I use giffgaff for my mobile - &pound;10 a month for 250 minutes, unlimited texts and internet access.
    I rarely use the tumble dryer
    We recently had a new gas and electric meter fitted, it came with a device that tells you how much electricity you're using. That helps you to remember to switch stuff off!
    I'm sure there are lots more but I can't think of them at the moment.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Register with Topcashback and get commission on your spending.
    I recently shopped around for a washing machine for my mother-in-law, found that Comet offered the best price (with free delivery) and then went onto their site via Topcashback and will get almost &pound;8 back (saving passed onto MIL of course).
    I've also booked train tickets to London using Southern rail on the Topcashback link and will get about &pound;6 back.
    You can choose to let the cashback build up and be sent to you when it reaches a set figure or have every rebate forwarded to your bank account as soon as TCB receives it (my choice).
    You can organise new energy providers, insurance, all sorts of major retailer purchases etc via the site. Some of the cashback amounts are significant (&pound;100 for changing to one energy provider, a big cashback for signing up to SKY broadband/TV etc).
    Cancel newspapers if you can access on-line.
    Plan shopping etc to minimise car usage. I've started listing places I need to visit in the coming week or so and working out which I should pair up to save on petrol. yesterday i did some local shopping, headed one way out of my town to do some shopping at Aldi in the next town and came back by a different route to be able to pick up my rail tickets and then buy 'dirt' cheap compost on a Makro offer.
    Try to snap up some of the 5% off stamps on sale at Superdrug until the 10th of the month (whilst stocks last). Daughter has been buying for me as she passes a Superdrug every day. One assistant hasn't twigged about the soon-to-happen huge price hike in stamps and keeps commenting about how odd it is that they're selling so many stamps at the moment!
    Scrub veg and potatoes before peeling, then remove any blemishes and bin those. Use the rest of the clean peelings to make soup/stock for using in the next few days or freezing.
    My mother-in-law keeps an empty washing-up bottle and when she buys a new one she decants half into the old bottle, tops both up with water and thus prevents herself from squirting too much into the bowl by accident. She doesn't like lots of suds as it means using more water for rinsing and she's on a water meter!
    Put any savings into the name of a non-taxpayer in the family (one you can trust!) and get them to fill out the form for having the interest paid without deduction of tax.
    Move ISAs when they come out of their bonus rate period.

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I have a bright red piggy bank...all my small change goes in there (1p, 2p,5p)....when I get to open it, I'm always amazed at what this 'forgotten' money amounts to....&pound;10 0r &pound;15 is not unusual!
    I rarely buy a newspaper - easily a saving of &pound;2 a week - that's &pound;100 a year!...(more if you get a paper 7 days a week)...I get the news of the TV and the internet...and download newspapers for free onto my Kindle too!
    I use Vodafone friends and family on my PAYG mobile. &pound;5 a month gives unlimited calls between 4 people - one of you pays and you can all phone each other.
    Yes, I know it's almost a joke...but get a slowcooker! Cheaper cuts of meat can be slowly cooked to mouth-watering tenderness!
    Lidls are surprisingly good for a 'general' shop - and don't be afraid to try out some of their less-well-known labels. ...Although some things just can't be compromised on...coffee needs to be a good brand.. baked.beans have to be Heinz...
    Don't be afraid to haggle.....or flirt shamelessly!....to get a discount! Tescos might not take to kindly to the idea - but market traders - and certain local butchers - are generally more open to the concept!
    And become a freebie addict! Go onto moneysavingexpert - they have a great freebie section. My latest was 5 Yankee Candle tealights - each with a different scent (samples of their Summer collection) absolutely free - Mum loved them! ...in another month or so I will start collecting freebies for Christmas! You can easily fill stockings with really good stuff - candles, miniatures of alcohol, socks, toiletries, chocoate bars, shopping bags (all of which I collected last year!)

10. I buy a big load of non food items that I know we will need and store them .It saves going to the shop for bread and spending something like £50!

This may not seem like rocket salad but it's quite a change for me.

11. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Or buy it from the supermarket instead for around the same price!
    I have the @value@ dvd rental subscription from Tesco and if you prepay it works out as less than &pound;7 per month for 4 dvds. Much cheaper than renting in a shop and way more convenient too. They pop through my letterbox while I'm at work and there are no late fees. The only thing is that return postage is 2nd class which is slow BUT you can request additional envelpes for return online which are 1st class.
    Makea list of everything you spend (honestly). Get a big fright. Tighten your belt.
    I avoid stopping for a pint of milk/ loaf on the way home from work because I am hungry then and find I am incapable of spending less than &pound;15 in the M&S simply food on the way home.
    I batch cook at the weekends which means we have home cooked meals in the freezer ready to heat up and all I need to think about are veggies/ salad and potatoes/ rice/ pasta/ whatever. It's economical and means I don't buy expensive rubbish to eat even when I'm tired. If I forget to take something out of the freezer in the morning, the microwave will get things started.
    I bulk buy when things like tinned tomatoes/ cleaning products are on special offer and buy rice etc from Asian supermarkets a couple of times a year. I buy toilet rolls, fabric softener etc from the cash and carry and if it's too much I split it with my mum.
    I have an energy monitor (free from Eon) which made me realise how much energy was being wasted.
    I dry clothes outside from Spring to autumn (yes, in Scotland!). I savethe washing up and do it on sunny (or windy!) days. Sometimes this doesn't work but mostly, it does. I still use the dryer for towels, though...unless it's a nice windy day.
    I don't buy into the consumer culture that expects me to buy every new trend or computer game for my son. It's not good for him and it's a waste of money. I buy books online for much cheaper than in the shops.
    At christmas my friends and I have a secret santa type thing going, where we draw a name and make something handmade for that person. It's much more personal that getting 10 boxes of smelly bubble bath I don't need. In the past I've made jams, preserves, sweets, recipe boxes with all the spices measures out to make a meal 'kit', flavoured vodkas, bottles of scented bath oil. From craftier friends I've received a personalised yoga mat, a shoulder bag, various jewellery, a stained glass angel that hangs by my front door and reminds me of the friend that gave it to me every morning.

12. All of the ideas above are fantastic! I've recently switched my bank accounts from Natwest to Lloyds Tsb and have found Lloyds to be much much better and helpful. The Save the Change option is an absolute god send as everytime you use your card to pay for purchases, they round the change up to the nearest pound and put it into a little savings account. :) Works so well for me as I only pay with card for things - having cash on me gets spent on rubbish. The Money Manager, Bill Manager and Calender is also very helpful. Defo reccommend! :)

13. Why switch to Lloyds TSB? Halfiax give you &pound;5 a month if you pay in &pound;1000 - much more than any interest I've seen around at the moment!
    Another idea is to use a cashbank or loyalty reward credit card and pay it off in full every month. You MUST be able to pay it off each month however!

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think the whole point of this thread is that most of us trying to save money are nowhere near being in the category of paying in &pound;1000 a month!
    (Sorry if that seems moany, just feeling rather low at present.)

15. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I was on Love Film and was paying about a fiver a month to have about 3 DVDs plopped through my letterbox but I have cancelled this now as I realised I had a big pile of DVDs of my own I either haven't watched or haven't watched for ages. I'm just making do with what I've got at the moment and not renting or buying any more.

16. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Not absolutely sure about this, but I think it means just if your salary is £1000 a month - it doesn't mean you have to SAVE £1000, just have it paid into your current account.

I don't have a Halifax account but my mum does - I will check with her when she gets back from her Easter jollies, but maybe someone else knows for sure.

17. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I've found having a veg/meat/dairy box delivered works out far far cheaper, than going shopping, as I'm not tempted to impulse buy. They have special offers too, so I stock up the freezer/store cupboard and batch cook in the holidays.
    I shop once a month for bread, toiletries and cleaning stuff, so again I'm not tempted. I know my failings.
    I also collect change, everything less than &pound;1 coins go into three separate jars - coppers; silver and 50ps. The 50ps are used in the few days of the month for fuel (my commute is stupid, and currently costs me &pound;50/week.) All the other is stored up, and is currently approx. &pound;120 - which will be spending money for the summer holidays.
    We eat lots of pasta, chilli and casseroles. Take Beth's advice and invest in a slow cooker, I was a late convert, but it's fabulous and now I wouldn't be without it.
    When you've got the oven on, use all the shelves. Make a cake, cook jacket potatoes, roast a chicken. Anything to fill it up, so you're not wasting energy.
    One of those eco things telling you how much electricity you're using sounds a great idea. Turn the heating down one degree and put an extra woolly on. Wear slippers - warm feet usually make you feel warm all over.

18. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Yes. I was surprised when I looked into the cost of fruit/veg boxes. I am on benefits and thought it was going to be too expensive for the likes of me! Depending on which box is ordered they work out cheaper than buying organic from the supermarket...sometimes the specials make it cheaper than non-organic! And I get free delivery - which is a big bonus for me. (I can't drive ...and use a stick for walking which makes carrying a heavy bag awkward)

I have a hand-knitted-by-Mum poncho....it is far from stylish but who is going to see it? It is soooooo snuggly warm!

[​IMG]

19. catmother

catmother Star commenter

The Bank of Scotland has the same deal,as they are the same bank. The &pound;1000 doesn't need to be saved,it just needs to be paid in. I would imagine most teachers get paid more than a &pound;1000 a month,even if we spend it all on bills and have no savings.

20. Discover SUGAR SOAP, its about &pound;2 for a big box of powder and you dilute 1 capeful to 4 litres of water..it cleans almost anything, from floors, fridges, washers, tiles and of course, it brings paintwork up like new. I can also be used on PVC window frames...I am a convert to this very old cleaning remedy.
    Use gloves as it irritates the skin, oh and by the way, it also de-scales the loo perfectly x