1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

simple ks2 lesson plans

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by christie171, Apr 12, 2011.

1. This is all new to me! My previous idea for a literacy lesson was to read the book The Ugly Duckling with the children. The learning objective would be to find adjectives in the text. The auditory learner would have a tape of the book with headphones. The kinaesthetic learner would have a pop up version of the book and the child with EAL would have a simplified version.
    The numeracy lesson was to be a lighter and heavier exercise whereby the children would have e.g. a building block in 1 hand and a bag of sand in the other and they had to record which was heavier.
    In both exercises i was told that i had not given enough examples of prepared differentiated materials for the 3 learners and so i failed.
    I am now at a loss as to where to go from here. Any tips?

2. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

The objectives you have described are more in line with KS1 children? so you would have to differentiate for the ability of children in your group/session( I am taking it the planning is intended for a small group session not a whole class (as that is not a TA role and as previous posters suggests, is not something we would be expected to do.)
    I would also agree with previous poster that you would plan an activity that would incorporate all of the different learning styles as pupils should be given different opportunities to learn in different ways- not to be 'boxed' in to specific styles as this can limit the opportunity to learn..

So for your adjectives activity you could start off with a brain storming of words IE the word 'beautiful' pupils could then verbalise alternative words instead of using ' beautiful'. This gives an opportunity to explain any difficulty with understanding vocabulary and would help in an auditory way. The recording could be done on a smart board (Visual) and even better you could use clicker 5 programme that uses voice activated software to read the word back whilst including a pictorial symbol (helping any EAL student). Done in this way you could highlight other words from the story book and use in the same way. Pupils could then write their own brain storm on paper so that it could be used as a reference word list in future literacy lessons. (Kinaesthetic)
    This is just one idea and not necessarily how anyone else would do it.[​IMG]