1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Simon Lawrence

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by percy topliss, Sep 8, 2017.

1. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

A friend. A mentor. Just a really good egg.

Simon died.

The world will never be the same.

frangipani123 and help!!!!! like this.
  2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Sorry for your loss x

Helen-Back likes this.
  3. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

I didn't know this guy, but it's rare to hear such positive words about an individual on this forum. Guess that says a lot.

Sorry for your loss.

help!!!!! and ejclibrarian like this.
  4. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Sorry for your loss Perce, must have been one of the good guys.

5. binaryhex

binaryhex Established commenter

"Sorry for your loss."

What a horrible standard nothing phrase, appearing in just about every American TV drama going, and now finding its way into British dramas I noticed last night. Surely people can come up with non-cliches to show sympathy.

I'm sure the O/P's friend was wonderful and will be missed.

6. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

What a nasty little comment from a bitter little person.

Helen-Back likes this.
  7. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Established commenter

What a strange comment.

Sorry to hear that Percy. He must have meant a lot to you.

8. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I have just been reading the tribute to Simon on the school's website. Clearly someone I would like to have known. Sorry for your loss, Perce, mon brave.

9. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I'm sorry to hear this news Percy. Losing close friends and colleagues is always hard. I hope that you're doing alright. Did you teach together at the same school? If he was currently teaching, I hope that his students are receiving support, as well as you and other staff.

10. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I did think about asking to have this removed but decided to leave it up as Simon was a well known chap around both Bangkok and also within the IB. He was very much a teacher who made a difference to all who met him. I worked with him for 4 years at a pretty well known school in Bangkok but he moved on to another great school where he was loved both for his teaching and his pastoral care and he and I kept in touch both on a beer level and an educational one. I just wanted other people, who may have known him, to know. Don't worry about platitudes they will, doubtless, come to us all. It just hit me.(after a beer)...he was a good egg and now he isn't. maybe we should all take a breath and think about what we will leave behind.
    Take care everyone.

Perce.