1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Silly question but need an answer

Discussion in 'Independent' started by LERlee, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Hello there,
    I really would like some advice. I have applied for a job at an indie school back in my home town. I really would love the job and the chance to move home. However, i do lack knowledge of the indie system and have no idea about pay scales or how i could find out without asking the school. Also, do teachers in idie schools get paid 6 weeks holiday?? if someone could offer me advice and what i should be asking if i get invited to interview, i would be very very grateful!

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The only way is to ask the school, as different schools pay different rates. Details of the school's pay scales are normally included in the application pack that you will be sent if you ask for details of the post.
    Most independent schools in the UK have at least 12 weeks holiday a year. The annual salary covers the entire year, as it does in state schools.

3. Wilden

Wilden New commenter

Don't know if this is a prep or senior school. If prep, you could check on the school details or website if they are a member of IAPS. If so, a condition of membership is that the pay and conditions of service must be at least as good as the maintained sector. Nearly all independent schools will have longer holidays than the maintained sector (but longer working days). A very large proportion pay more than the maintained sector - in my case over 10% more.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

What advantage is there in NOT giving details of the salary scale?
    You simply go through the expensive and time-consuming business of advertising, short-listing and interviewing, only to find that your preferred candidate says "I'm not going to work for that!".
    Or, as a head, you fiddle the figures and then find that one of the existing staff discovers in idle conversation that someone new has been appointed at a higher point themselves (which happened to me when a colleague discovered that I had been appointed as Director of Music on a higher level than the long-serving deputy head).
    I know that heads like to reserve the position on the salary scale on which an applicant might enter, but there's nothing to be gained by keeping the school's overall scale secret. Indeed, some indies do still publish the range of their scales on TES jobs.