1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Silly question but how do I do guided reading?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon82, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Congratulations on your scores.
    My Data also tells me that my children have made, on average, 6+ points progress in reading through rigorous phonics teaching, appropiate intervention and differentiated learning activities .
    I cannot say that guided reading has made an ounce of difference. Unless you consider it gathering information for APP.
    i still hate guided reading[​IMG]

2. It seems like a good way of teaching comprehension skills to children when you do not have time to work with them on a 1:1 basis. However not so usefull for beginner readers in year 1 who are still learning basics. I am teaching a mixed y1/2 class next year. I am contemplating hearing individual readers for 3 days a week and make sure I hear the less able readers who still need the 1:1 support from me their class teacher. The other two days I will do guided reading with level 2/more able readers focussing on comprehension and other skills that need to be taught once they have mastered basic decoding skills. What do others think of this approach?

3. I teach a Y1 class and stopped guided reading two years ago. Instead every child is heard read every day (between me and my TA). I set aside a time slot each day which is dedicated to hearing 1:1 readers (30 minutes), and the improvements in reading levels have improved dramatically. Some may be sceptical regarding the amount of time it takes out of the day but if you add up a guided read slot for 20 minutes each day it isn't that much more and, in my experience, far more beneficial to the children I teach.
    Whilst my TA and I are hearing readers the rest of the class access continuous provision, and we make sure we hear different groups between us each day so that we have a good knowledge of each child's reading level.
    For SEN or LA children I use the bonus of parent helpers/students to give them even more 1:1 reading time. The improved reading levels have had a knock-on effect for writing too.

4. I love guided reading. I teach year 2 and try to put the children in groups of about 5. I read with each group each week, my TA reads with each group every week. While they are not involved with teacher directed reading they either complete comprehension activities or reading journal activities which relate directly to the book they are reading.
    I love the progression, most children come into year 2 unable to read for themselves, either in their head or using a "private" voice, they find this really hard but with guidance and modelling they learn how to read for themselves. It is such an important skill to read for meaning and this is taught through guided reading.
    None of my other groups are ever on holding activities, they are always doing something with a clear learning outcome. Check out the lancashire grid for learning for some great reading journal activities.

5. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

This sounds just right to me! Can I ask if your Y2 teachers do the same? I really hate guided reading, but we are supposed to schedule it into the main teaching part of our literacy session and I think it's rubbish! I would much rather do it the way you suggest, but am not sure where we'd fit the half an hour each day-when do you timetable it for?

6. I don't think that I AM doing anything particularly fabo, I'm not sounding off about stats, merely illustrating what is possible with guided reading. I'm just putting into practise the theory. You choose a target based on one of the AFs and conduct a session based on that. I might do some modelling to start- for instance reading a sentence with a word that I need to sound and then re-running the sentence to check it makes sense. Then I will ask the children to put that into practise. They will read in their heads and I will go around a couple and check.
    With my more able children, they might pre-read or I might not bother to check their actual reading more than once every few weeks. I will model how to extract information, read between the lines, show them where to look for clues to why an author has written in this way, draw cultural comparisons and so on. Then they will practise these skills. We have question fans for each AF which really cuts down on the planning! I ask them some questions and note down answers to see if they've understood what I'm asking, then I do a mini plenary. If they've got it then I might not revisit for a while, if they haven't, I revisit in the next session.
    The real power of guided reading, I think, is in the modelling of one particular skill at their level and then reinforcing through practise and plenary.
    It isn't that guided reading is the global panacea for all reading woes; I have to do one to one reading with a few children by way of a booster, but in the long run it certainly saves me a lot of time and (at the moment at least!) it is getting results.

7. May I ask, where you got your reading fans from?

Did you/your school make them or are they on line?

Would you be willing to share them because they sound useful.

Thanks

8. It is me again!

Having read this thread i have started to think about GR.

Do people use texts that are linked to the current genre you are studying or it is more open and according to the AFs?

Do you use whole texts and, if so, do you read the whole text over time?

Do you find it hard to find useful texts?

Thanks

9. elegia

elegia New commenter

Do you teach Guided Reading as a whole class, or do you do the carousel? I think what you say about modelling reading skills is key, as they sometimes lack these deduction skills when it comes to the dreaded tests.

I like the idea of the question fans. Did you find the resource online?

10. I have been known to address particular skills as they come up during phase 1 of a literacy unit but largely on a carousel. At the school i just left I got through every group once a week. At my new school I intend for the same or perhaps more as I will take groups out during assembly as well.
    As for the question fans, I made up some for AF1 and AF2, if memory serves and I will search those out and put them up for people. Anyone is welcome to those. We were given new ones, covering each AF which our literacy consultant sourced last year, I think she made them herself, I don't have them on the computer, only one copy in hard copy. I am not sure from a copyright standpoint where I would stand if I dished those out and it would take a long time to scan and send. However, I might make my 'own' list of questions for each AF which I could make available to people... [​IMG]

11. We use fans made from the Lancashire Question keys. Have sent you the link. We laminated, cut out and used a treasury tag to hold the questions together like a fan. Hope these help. Lots of other useful stuff on Guided Reading on this site too.
    http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/nationalstrategy/literacy/index.php?category_id=108&s=4c4f0e485c262dc21b18f8cd9b0df09a

12. They are the ones!

I stand corrected...[​IMG]

13. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

That Lancashire site is so useful - thank you. I've just filled up my memory stick.

14. Hi
    I have a mixed y2/3 class. Following the primary strategy, when it is immersion in text week of a new unit I do a guided read and activity with one group a day during the literacy hour. I try to ensure the guided books fit in with the genre of the new unit e.g. myths and legends etc. As the unit progresses and we move onto sentence and writing activities my TA does a guided read with a group every day outside of the literacy hour. We both use APPs and I agree with other poster the lancs site is very good for activities to do.
    Where possible I try to have all groups doing a reading activity and I dont see them as holding activities but appropriate tasks. 2 grps doing a guided with TA and myself, one group reading independently with a follow up task usually using the computers (espresso has good extracts Ks2 and whole books for Ks1) and one group a reading comprehension or other approp task. The guided read does not have to be sitting at desks - make it purposeful - follow instructions to make something, do a treasure hunt, use the library to find information about something. Hope this helps

15. elegia

elegia New commenter

Thanks for the AF fans guys. These will be very useful. :)

16. Thank you so much everyone! Thus has really helped a lot. Thanks. ilj xx

17. I love guided reading. It's a great time to spend time with a small group and to have some great discussions about books. The chidlren have made huge leaps in their comprehension skills and explored a wide variety of texts.

A couple of things I would add to Simon's excellent points- make sure you are not planning from the AFs- plan from the framework and use the AFs to inform and adjust planning; make sure the texts you use are appealing. A dog eared copy of The Magic Key isn't going to enthrall anyone. Read chocolate wrappers and cereal boxes, football programmes, joke books, recipes , comics etc. There are some great texts available at the Scholastic site. You need to either use your ELS service to get sets of books or make sure your school makes some investment.

The questioning is vital and does require preparation. Thrusting a text at a TA a moment before a session isn't fair on either the TA ( no matter how fab they are) or the children. Choose your texts and ensure there are a couple of really good questions planned.

Take the time to instill into the rest of the class the discipline needed to allow you to work uninterrupted with a group. They need to be pursuing a variety of age appropriate reading tasks.

go for it- it works!

18. Sorry- ELS is Education Library Service. Does your school buy in?
    Some of the guided reading texts on the scholastic site are free, others are subscriber only. If you're not well resourced for suitable texts the subscription might make sense.