1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Silly question but how do I do guided reading?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon82, Jul 20, 2010.

1. This year, we have been asked to do guided reading with our pupils instaed of the TA's. Only issue is that ive never ever done guided reading. So, stupid question but how exactlyt does it work and what do i need to do? Surely its more then just reading with the children and asking questions! I have 5 groups in my class. someone even suggested that they have combined guided reading and the APP part of it together. Any advice please. Thanks. ilj

2. From what I have seen in school all the groups do different activities for example one might be practicing their spellings and using the words in sentences, another might be reading a book as a group and answering comphrension questions, another will be reading with the teacher and answering questions, some will read their own books and then complete a book report. Some will havea spelling list which they have to find the definition of words. I guess it varies on the age group this is more key stage 2
    each day the teacher will work with a different group and the activities tend to be circled around so each group covers the same or similiar activities
    this is just what I have seen

3. number 1 on my " emperors new clothes" list of things we do to please SMT and inspectors.
    Guided reading is such a waste of valuable learning time. 1 group with the teacher taking it in turns to either read round or make one valid comment during 20 minutes. the teacher then makes a comment on each child and puts it in their asessment folder and it is never looked at again. the other children are involved in holding tasks - usaually licking the table in boredom!
    guided reading may work in a leafy suburb where childen are on the SEN register if they dont have a pony - but aaaaaaaaaaaaaah - i loathe it.
    ( feel better for the rant)[​IMG]

lowery likes this.
  4. comenius

comenius New commenter

5. then how do you teach reading and comprehension skills of not doing guided reading, why are rest of class doing holding tasks?

6. Most of my (Y5) reading comprehension teaching is whole class, I struggle with guided reading because there is just me and 30 chn.

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I hear a different group each day, 15 mins first thing after register, while the others read/finish off work from the day before/practise handwriting. 5 groups of 6, so every child is heard reading at least once a week, to keep parents happy. It's not ideal, but it does let you keep an eye on progress in reading. I don't hear children read individually outside these sessions.

8. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

That's what I do, lardylegs. A 20-minute session once a day and I have 5 groups, so each is read with once a week. I do have a group of children who are listened to every day by a TA but most children are only heard during their guided reading session with me. The children who aren't reading with an adult do silent reading, book review or comprehension activity that links to that week's work.

9. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I'm with harchie on this.
    I'm intrigued as to why schools don't have Guided Mathematics, and Guided History.
    In fact, why not go the whole hog, and just have kids in for their 20 minute slots each day, and just set them homework tasks for the rest of the school day?

10. we have been told that each child must do guided reading twice a week.
    comprehension activities, silent reading and book reviews arent ideal for a year 1 class!
    i prefer reading and comprehensipn to be taught through literacy and differentiated group work , individual assessment and targeted teaching but heigh ho - i'm old fashioned!

11. and the SMT and the inspectors - but waht about the children?

12. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I personally enjoy doing guided reading with my class and I know they enjoy it too. They look forward to that time when its a small group and a little more attention get focussed on them.
    In my class I have the assessment grids (group ones) in front of me. The children read out loud only if I'm checking against that particular app guideline. When they do read out loud it's one at a time from whatever page they are on, while the others read on.
    The restof the children either do: silent reading, pre-reading (they will be the next day's group), follow up activity (the previous day's group),
    I do guided reading every day after lunch for 20 minutes. (This is why the prereading is good, because you don't have to spend half the time waiting for them to read b4 asking the questions or discussing)
    Sometimes I get the children to generate the questions for the discussion.

13. elegia

elegia New commenter

I think Guided Reading has the potential to be useful, but no one is ever shown how to really make it work well. I've done the carousel thing. I've done the focus group thing (while children do reading activities). But what I found for Guided Reading (which I think is suited to the post-lunch slot) was that I started spending the time sorting out the chaos from lunchtime and not reading with the children. Eventually all the autonomy I spent the start of the year building vanished and it became impossible to manage. Also, while I think it's great for children to do fun reading activities as a way of getting to know the books well (and to build the pleasure of reading), they could be called 'holding activities' as their value in developing comprehension skills (which they need to pass the SATs) are dubious.

I really want Guided Reading to work, but I've yet to work out a way for it to work well and remain a valid use of time.

14. elegia

elegia New commenter

Upsadaisy, do you know where I could get a copy of the APP assessment grids? These grids are the only way to manage assessment during guided reading groups!

15. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

For all those who do not do guided reading - when do you hear the children read, how often do you do it and for how long?

16. If that is how you're doing guided reading then you're not doing it properly.

Using guided reading this year, my children have gone from 22% at age related to 70% at age related expectations, their confidence with reading has improved and I vital AFL data to use to plan the next session.

17. My above post was in response to this one.
    Note to self: remember to click the 'quote' button.

18. Hi, can I just ask how you organise the session in your class? Thanks

19. (I have tried several times to type this. It keeps coming out sarcastic. It isn't really meant like that).
    Can you share with us how to make it so fabo then please? I'm not sure the way I've been doing it has a massive impact (but then I don't think anything that is only done once a week for 20 mins can, so there's the big problem for me).
    Thanks

20. im not clear why people keep talking about holdiing activities surely for large parts of the day children are working on task practicing and developing skills whilst teacher is focused on one group or other, isnt this just the same except that at the minimum the group with teacher is focused on reading skills rather than something else? This is only a way to put emphasis on teaching reading skills by giving it a specific timetabled slot, of course reading is key skill being used all the time but needs specific teaching time too and apart from phonics sessions literacy lessons are often focused on the teaching of writing