1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Silicone bakeware

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lilachardy, Jun 18, 2011.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Having identified a need for a type of tin I don't already have, I have indulged in a silicone "tin".

Do they smell so much every time you use them? Poo-eeee!

2. lilachardy

Having identified a need for a type of tin I don't already have, I have indulged in a silicone "tin".

Do they smell so much every time you use them? Poo-eeee!

3. I have no idea but I would love to hear what you think of it once you have lived with it a while.
    What shape did you get??

4. lilachardy

A 9" tall sided cake tin.

I have no idea why I didn't already own one... my biggest was 7"!

5. Ah! I seem to have about 5 round 'uns, not sure I remember buying them all [​IMG]

I really would like to know how the silicone behaves....

6. lilachardy

Given that I've lived until the age of 35 without such a tin, I'm not likely to use it much, to be honest... but I'll let you know, should I realise anything!

7. I only have a silcone muffin "tin" but I am not impressed, to be honest.
    Firstly, I do detect a smell, which I find quite unpleasant (used the "tin" 4 times so far) and secondly, the mix seems to stay a bit soggy at the bottom.
    I much prefer my tin tins!

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I have a silicon baking sheet and it's really rather good.

9. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I've got individual cake cases which I use inside my tin instead of paper cases and I like them because I can reuse them and the different colours look fab gainst the cakes.
    I've also got some silicone 'loaf' tin ones - these were cheap silicone admitedly but they are rubbish - so floppy that they don't really hold their shape and the mixture pushes the sides out.
    I am still very undecided on silicone as a result

10. I couldn't live without mine now. So easy to use and clean and it makes all sorts of sticky difficult things a doddle, especially peanut brittle - Climber's favourite treat that has always been a pain to make!
    I bought a roll of it and chopped it to size. Best tenner I ever spent. One sheet lives in the bottom of the oven, two for biscuit trays and the leftover 5 inches for putting dough, meat etc on the worktop without it sticking or making a mess. It just sort of sits there waiting to be sat on and even fits the swiss roll tin I make the peanut brittle in - result!!
    If I could remember where I got it I'd advertise for them!

11. It depends hugely on the quality ... I had some v cheap sandwich 'tins' that were awful (Soggy cakes, hard to clean), but the better quality ones really are fab, and fold down to nothing in the cupboard. I recommend the Lakeland ones - pricey, but lovely cakes, and dishwasher friendly.

12. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I hate silicone bakeware.
    I have bought so much of it ranging from the cheapest of the cheap to the most expensive I could find wanting to be converted to it but I've given up.
    I now have proper sturdy bakeware and so rarely have disasters (especially compared to the disasters I used to have with silicone bakeware).

13. I have a tiny kitchen and more wall cupboards than base cupboards, so my cooking equipment and ingredients live in a wall cupboard.
    I also have a phobia about putting lots of heavy items in/on things (don't ask!), compounded by my friend actually experiencing one of their wall cupboards spontaneously falling off the wall and breaking every item within.
    Lightweight silicone bakeware is my friend! I've passed on all my tatty tins (apart from a few favourites).

14. I have a silicone 'muffin tin' (John Lewis) and found soggy bottoms so have rarely used it.
    I also have some of the silicone cake cases (like paper ones), brightly coloured, and I do like those. Reuseable etc.
    Still prefer my metal bakeware I think. Although must remember not to make upside down cakes in loose bottomed tins (all the syrup ended up on the bottom of the oven [​IMG])
    The waitrose/ john lewis heavy muffin tray is my favourite though,