1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

silhouettes

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emma891234, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Hi , I was wondering if somebody could help. I'm an NQT in reception/year 1. we are going to be looking at light and dark and want to create silhouettes with the children. What is the best way of doing this. I know I'm going to sound really stupid but I'm not sure if I'm going to be doing it right and just wanted to check. Am I right in thinking that silhouettes are created by shining a light on an object by the wall or pointing the light and object towards the floor and this blocks the light and creates a shadow and then should the children draw around the shadow on black card or shall I get them to do it on tracing paper first? I hope somebody can help because I really want to do this with the children but want to get it right.

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Aren't silhouettes when the light is behind the object? Otherwise isn't it just a shadow?

3. We used to do it by standing the kids in front of the overhead projector then drawing round them on black sugar paper with a yellow or white pencil or some chalk.

4. Yes, that's how I've always done it.
    The previous poster was right, the light needs to be behind the person.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ditto.