1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sikh naming ceremny

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by cambsgirl, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    I wonder if anybody can help - I am teaching a KS1 class some basic facts about Sikh naming cermonies on monday, and I wondered whether anybody might have a good link for a short video of a ceremony taking place?
    Thanks for your help!
    V x

2. Don't know of any with the actual naming ceremony but there is this one with the GGs in it.
    http://www.cleo.net.uk/resources/displayframe.php?src=381/consultants_resources%2Freligiouseduc%2FsukhAasan02%2FSuchKhand.html

There is also a good site with baby names on it
    http://www.sikhwomen.com/SikhNames/

I have done a KS3 lesson in the past on this where I got a book to represent the GGS and they opened it and found the letter and chose a Sikh name for themselves to use throughout that lesson whilst learning about the ceremony.

3. Thank you x

4. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

There's a great episode of the Birmingham based comedy All About Me - I guess its about 10 years old but may still be available from the producers.

In this episode the family have a new baby and are thinking of how to celebrate. Dad (played by Jasper Carrot) is lapsed Catholic, Mum is la lapsed Sikh. Mum is exhausted with the baby and the rest of the family work so dad suggests she make contact with her relatives and see if they will do some babysitting.
    They are keen to help but want the baby to have a Sikh naming ceremony. Then Dad decides that if the baby is to get a Sikh naming ceremony he should also have a Catholic Christening.
    Some great footage of visits to Gurdwara and Church - all seen through the eyes of the main character who is disabled and just learning how to use a voice synthesiser. Some excellent insight into both Sikhism and Christianity, lots to think about regarding rights of passage and Birth Ceremonies. And a lot of humour.
    Eventually they decide to do their own ceremony which is quite a moving and thought provoking event.

I have this on video - if I can find it - but how can we share videos or DVD's when you can't upload these onto Resources?