1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Signing pre contract/job offer

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Babylon123, Jul 29, 2020 at 3:12 PM.

1. Babylon123

Babylon123 New commenter

Hello,

I am set to relocate to a school in Spain in the new academic year but am growing increasingly concerned about moving in the current climate.

I have not signed the contract yet, which I suppose will either be sent before then or will given to me upon arrival.

If I were to inform the school of my concerns, would I be able to pull out of the job or is this legally binding? The pre contract just lists details of the job and salary.

Thanks.

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

You wouldn't be the first person to pull out before getting there and you won't be the last.
    Have the conversation with the school and tell them your decision. You never know, they might be understanding.

Whether the contract is legally binding, I'm not sure but the chances of them doing anything are pretty slim. I'm assuming you haven't cost them any money so far so best to make the decision now for both parties.

With regards to your decision, if you have already quit your UK job, there may be about to be an influx of applicants there so decide quick if you need to get a job straight away.
    If it's about the virus then part of me would imagine Spain is actually safer than the UK but I'm not informed enough to know that.

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Spain IS much safer than the UK unless you are heading for Catalunya where there is currently a Covid spike. Compared with Bumbling Boris and his gang of buffoons, the government here is doing an impressive job of controlling the situation. We have regulations which the Guardia Civil enforces with inflexible rigor and hefty fines. I'm gobsmacked by news stories of UK businesses and even police forces 'choosing' not to insist on enforcing the feeble 'guidelines'. The latest nonsense of a fourteen day UK quarantine aimed at holidaymakers returning from Spain is one more example of knee jerk incompetence.

With temperatures here in Andalucia now up to 40C I'd quite fancy a week or two 'back home' but currently I find the UK a scary prospect.