1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Signing on for the Summer holiday

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by schoolsout4summer, Jul 19, 2015.

  1. schoolsout4summer

    schoolsout4summer Star commenter

    I have been doing supply for the last year. I intend to resume supply in September. Should I sign on (or what ever the new expression might be) for the summer holiday? What are the benefits, if any? How do I do it?

  2. les25paul

    les25paul Star commenter

    I have not signed on over the Summer holiday for several years now and the rules will no doubt have changed but there was one very important point at the time and I'm sure it will still apply today.

    DO NOT tell them your are intending to resume supply in September. To qualify for Job Seeker Allowance (JSA) you needed to be actively looking for a job and provide evidence you were doing so. They will not accept you are doing this if you have plans to supply teach in the near future. You need to say that you are looking for a job and have only been doing supply work whilst you were looking, Its vital they that do not regard you as a career supply teacher since they will argue that the Summer break is part of the conditions of the job.

    JSA has been replaced (I think) by a different benefit but I strongly suspect that the same conditions apply.

    You also need to contact the benefits office as soon as you can since the benefit only applies from that point (with a three day delay), it cannot be backdated to your last working day.

    The payment isn't much but there are other benefits, your NI stamp will be paid and you are eligible for all sorts of freebies/discounts. I used to sign on to get free dental treatment, eyesight tests and cheap evening class fees.
  3. nearmiss

    nearmiss Lead commenter

    What les25paul said. Your claim only becomes active once you have registered online, which you can do at any time, you will then be contacted for an interview which basically verifies what you declared online. Do it before school ends or there will be a delay. On JSA you only get £72 per week and some housing benefit - universal credit hasn't kicked in yet so you still claim mortgage interest relief from your district council. However, you need to google for other benefits that exist. There are also charities which give one-off grants, all the info. last time I looked was on the Distressed Gentlefolk site. (I imagine myself in the company of those who have sold off the last of the family silver and had to let the butler go and then it doesn't feel so bad). There are hundreds of grants available from various trusts. You can waive prescription charges too. Might as well save going to the dentist and optician until you are on the dole. If you use any council facilities - gym, swimming etc. there are often preferential rates for people out of work, the assumption being that there must be something wrong with you if you aren't working.

    I'm finding that surprisingly few people are keen to employ a degree qualified woman knocking sixty to do a summer job. Getting knocked back by Wetherspoons cuts deep. So Jobcentre it is.
  4. I agree with Les Paul. Good advice. You could also apply to do some temporary teaching at a summer school, although it's probably too late to apply for this year but maybe worth considering if you're in the same situation next year. The pay is bad though.

    Nearmiss - I'm very surprised too. Do you think it's an age thing?
  5. nearmiss

    nearmiss Lead commenter

    Previous posters on this forum have assured me that it is not. No, it must be my lack of skill.
  6. But lack of skill in what? Your other skills would make it easy for you to learn new skills surely?
  7. nearmiss

    nearmiss Lead commenter

    I was being ironic. I turn sixty next year. It is abundantly clear that I am being turned down for work on the basis of age.
  8. Oh I see. It's a shame there is so much ageism around.
  9. I am now on holiday for the Summer, and have worked for the same school for the last year through an agency. A lot of the staff are from the same agency, and all are now looking for Summer work, or a way to cover the bills. The agency I work for will only give you the work term by term, and apparently then don't need to pay holiday pay as its a short term contract.

    I have looked at this, and after checking out Gov. uk cant see how we are not entitled to holiday pay, and even rang acas and they agreed


  10. nearmiss

    nearmiss Lead commenter

    If you are employed by a school on its payroll for a fixed term, they can only employ you from 1 Sept - 31 Dec, 1 Jan to 30 Apr and 1 May to 31 August, so only then will you get holiday pay.

    Agencies only pay you for the hours you work. They do pay holiday pay but not as we know it. Holiday pay is factored into your daily rate so it's usually about £110 or so per day flat rate plus another £3 or so per day for holiday pay, which, if you worked for the total 195 days available in a school year would give you an annual holiday pay of £585. So you have already received your holiday pay or the portion of it relative the hours you worked over the foregoing months. It might show on your payslip as a separate item week by week or then again it might not.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending agencies. However, people really should read their own contracts and terms of employment. Each agency has its own way of doing things. They do it to suit themselves. They are businesses not statutory bodies so the terms that apply to schools and other education providers do not apply to them. This is why supply teachers can't access the Teachers' Pension Scheme either - they are not working for an approved education service provider. Agencies quite legally operate outside the statutory boundaries that govern the conduct of schools and academies. Their sole purpose is to sign up clients and furnish those clients with suitable candidates in compliance with Conduct of Employment Agencies legislation. Most of the big agencies work in the building trade, hospitals, social care and other spheres of employment too. They have nothing to do with schools other than expand their business interests there.

    This is why the unions are lobbying for agencies to get out of teaching. Direct employment is better for so many reasons.
  11. I have also found that agencies roll holiday pay into the overall daily or long-term rate of pay.
  12. My agency pay holiday pay separately from normal pay. I can claim it at any holiday period but choose to leave it until the summer holiday. I have just received over £1500.
  13. pineapplehead

    pineapplehead New commenter

    Am signing on having done supply work all year. Have applied for contributions-based JSA which does mean that even though I have work for September I still qualify. Have told Job Centre that I am looking for summer work while signing on, so even though they know about work in September I can still claim. Have signed on every summer for the last 3 years while doing supply and it has been worth it.
  14. WaylonWu

    WaylonWu Established commenter

    It is also my understanding too that supply teachers cab sign on during the summer as long as they can show they are looking for work during that time.
  15. nearmiss

    nearmiss Lead commenter

    Yes, indeed you can. You have paid tax and NI so you're entitled. If you can't get a summer job, competing with students and school kids (i.e. you probably won't) you will get about £72 per week; only a bit more than £440 for whole summer break so approximately the cost of a taxi from an MP's flat to Westminster really. Don't feel bad about claiming. The staff at my local job centre are quite supportive. They work in the public sector too and understand that work patterns have changed dramatically.
  16. WaylonWu

    WaylonWu Established commenter

    It's for those reasons I wouldn't hesitate to sign on iff I couldn't find work in the summer.
  17. I have signed on for JSA this summer. Unfortunately I did a couple of mornings 1 to 1 before term finished. I declared this and presented a pay slip. Be careful, as DWP have assumed that I am earning this every week now and have stopped the JSA. You now have to provide proof that you are no longer working. This proof can be a letter from the agency stating the last day you worked( I am having difficulty getting this) or a P45, which would mean you are no longer working/registered with the agency, so come September you might need to re-register.
  18. WaylonWu

    WaylonWu Established commenter

    Very inconvenient and unnecessary.

Share This Page