1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Significant reductions in music teacher training. What does it mean?

Discussion in 'Music' started by jonsavage, Feb 2, 2011.

1. You might be interested to ponder, for a moment at least, the recent letter from Michael Gove to the TDA (published on Monday). In it, the allocations for teacher training for 2011/2012 were announced.
    Secondary music teacher training places are being cut by 44% to 390 places. You can read a full analysis of this on my blog: http://jsavage.org.uk/?p=1184
    Michael Gove's letter gives three possible reasons for these cuts. It could be explained away by demographics (44% is considerably more than the general 14% cut across all secondary allocations); or does our educational system just has too many music teachers, or are the projeced effects of policy decisions that have already been taken by the DfE going to result in secondary schools needing less music teachers in the future?
    What do you think?

2. It's all just so hideously underhand. It seems obvious that decisions have been made that music teachers are no longer required in the same numbers they were. The delay on publishing the Henley report is clearly due to this pathetic government paving the way for destroying our music education system as we know it.
    It makes me so angry.

3. bessiesmith

bessiesmith New commenter

Perversely this will be a good thing in the short term as there are so many Music NQTs both from last year's PGCE course and the year before who are doing supply work in our area because there just simply aren't enough jobs to go round - teacher training numbers should have been cut a couple of years back I think.
    However, given the chaos going on in the DfES at the moment I imagine that this cut is due to a general down-grading of Music as a subject rather than an intelligent move to match current supply and demand.

4. My university hasn't even been given confirmation of funding for September 2011. Also, only one music gtp vacancy has been advertised in the whole of Kent... Also subject to confirmation.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I'm afraid that I think that is the most likely scenario. Gove has spoken in favour of music in schools, but when the words are analysed they boil down to a desire for the type of music curriculum common in public schools in the first half of the 20th-century: a bit of class singing plus opportunities to learn an instrument. Anything else becomes extra-curricular. And, for the maintained sector, opportunities for learning an instrument are disappearing fast.

6. Do you think it would be a good idea for me to train in the post compulsory sector instead? I would like to think that music in FE will get a boost if music dwindles in secondary schools.

7. erp77

erp77 New commenter

Do you think it would be a good idea for me to train in the post compulsory sector instead? I would like to think that music in FE will get a boost if music dwindles in secondary schools.

If music 'dwindles' in secondary schools the there won't be any pupils going through to study music in FE as they won't have had a basic grounding .

8. From my observation, most of the students in college are from a rock/pop background and didn't get their grounding from school. Most of them either self-taught at home or had one-to-one lessons. I certainly didn't get any grounding in music at school (not a single music qualification was available). Schools having less one-to-one music lessons will have a greater impact in that respect.