1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Significant Authors Assembly

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lubylou69, Jun 8, 2011.

1. I'm teaching Year 5 and have an assembly coming up ... HELP!! Most of my assemblies have been in Catholic schools and so followed the RE topic at that time, but we have free choice in this school.
    In Literacy, we have been looking at significant authors and I thought this would give me a lot of scope to work with. My initial ideas included having several characters from well-known stories (Harry Potter, George or Charlie - of Roald Dahl fame, the Famous Five, Sheila The Great, etc and have them all join forces together to find the best children's author ever! As the children travel through the assembly, they find out many facts about each of the authors and share them with the audience ... but then that's where my enthusiasm waned and I wondered if I even wanted to DO significant authors!!
    Has anyone done an assembly on this theme? How did it go? Any ideas/experience would be greatly appreciated ...

2. I'm teaching Year 5 and have an assembly coming up ... HELP!! Most of my assemblies have been in Catholic schools and so followed the RE topic at that time, but we have free choice in this school.
    In Literacy, we have been looking at significant authors and I thought this would give me a lot of scope to work with. My initial ideas included having several characters from well-known stories (Harry Potter, George or Charlie - of Roald Dahl fame, the Famous Five, Sheila The Great, etc and have them all join forces together to find the best children's author ever! As the children travel through the assembly, they find out many facts about each of the authors and share them with the audience ... but then that's where my enthusiasm waned and I wondered if I even wanted to DO significant authors!!
    Has anyone done an assembly on this theme? How did it go? Any ideas/experience would be greatly appreciated ...

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Have you seen these BBC Science clips?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/scientific%20investigator
    This a weakest link style game called The Greatest Scientific Investigator.
    Could you do something similar? The children role play as authors and after being quizzed by Anne Robinson the 'audience' have to vote on who they think is the greatest author ever.

4. D'oh! I forgot to say, I don't live in the UK - the video clip is not available in my country ... but you've given me food for thought ... a gameshow format! Could even be Who Wants to be a Millionaire as the children here are more familiar with that than with The Weakest Link. Thank you!

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Whoops! Millionaire could work too. Hope it goes well!