1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Significance of 'QTS' with PGCE courses for working abroad

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by laurachael, May 1, 2012.

1. Hi there,

I am looking for some help about becoming a teacher and transferring the knowledge I already have to the classroom and teaching. I am 27 and have been working in the Health and Fitness industry for 4 years as a Personal Trainer (CHEK Pratitioner 1) and Holistic Lifestyle Coach. I have experience coaching children of various ages from 4-16+ and I also have a little experience teaching PE in an International School.

I am based in Hong Kong and have found a PGCE course that I can take via distance learning through Sunderland University, however this course does not come with 'QTS'. I would like to teach secondary level and possibly post 16+ both theory and practical lessons. I am trying to find out how significant it is to have a PGCE with QTS or will a PGCE be sufficient to teach abroad in countries like Hong Kong, Aus or New Zealand?

Any advice would be a massive help!!!

Thank you!!

2. Hi there,

I am looking for some help about becoming a teacher and transferring the knowledge I already have to the classroom and teaching. I am 27 and have been working in the Health and Fitness industry for 4 years as a Personal Trainer (CHEK Pratitioner 1) and Holistic Lifestyle Coach. I have experience coaching children of various ages from 4-16+ and I also have a little experience teaching PE in an International School.

I am based in Hong Kong and have found a PGCE course that I can take via distance learning through Sunderland University, however this course does not come with 'QTS'. I would like to teach secondary level and possibly post 16+ both theory and practical lessons. I am trying to find out how significant it is to have a PGCE with QTS or will a PGCE be sufficient to teach abroad in countries like Hong Kong, Aus or New Zealand?

Any advice would be a massive help!!!

Thank you!!

3. Hi
    Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) is required in order to work in state-maintained primary and secondary schools in England and Wales. The international PGCE offered by the University of Sunderland does not lead to QTS so you would be unable to work as a teacher in England or Wales should you decide to return here.
    The international PGCE would allow you to build up some valuable teaching skills, and leads to the Professional Graduate Certificate in Education. Each country has its own criteria for the qualifications required and/or recognised to teach. I would recommend contacting the educational authorities in Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand to confirm whether or not the international PGCE offered by the University of Sunderland would be deemed acceptable.
    I hope this information has helped and I wish you the very best in your teaching career.
    Lin Hinnigan, Teaching Agency