1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Signed off

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Candy0293, Jan 10, 2020.

1. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Definitely go back to the GP. It sounds as if all your symptoms have returned at the mere THOUGHT of a return to work, so you are not well yet. And you may take several months to get well. I too have been there. It took six months to begin to recover, and then I was offered, and accepted, an SA. Even after that it took over a year before I could really call myself better, and the stress still pops up every so often to remind me what it felt like.
    So, you are (I hope) employed under a contract which offers you a good long time on sick pay, so you don't need to worry about finances. That means you are not under financial pressure to return just yet. You seem to have supportive people around you, so that's good too.
    Rest. Relax, Recover. It took months to get to this stage, it may take months to recover. So let it. The wider picture is that this too shall pass.
    I am sending positive and supportive thoughts your way!

agathamorse and lynneseptember like this.
  2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

So you go in feeling rubbish and consequently teach less well than you might on top form. You then get more ill and have to take longer off.
    That's letting the school down more

agathamorse likes this.
  3. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

Candy, it really doesn't sound as if you are ready yet for a return to work. It sounds as if you've only been off since beginning of January, not September? (I know you say you've been in tears every week since September, but I didn't get the impression you've been signed off since then).
    I do hope you have made an appointment to see your GP again. Take their advice. School will continue whether you are back there or not - try not to worry about there, concentrate on you and only consider a return when you are truly recovered, and even then, consider phased return. (Your union and OH should help with that). It takes time, and during that time you will have periods when you think "I'm well now, I'm ready to go back", but just as you've found today, you're not quite well enough. Going back too soon will be detrimental to your well being - allow yourself time. It really seems as if you've got a supportive partner and family which makes all the difference. Listen to them and don't be hard on yourself.
    Sending you hugs from someone who's been there too.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. loranp

loranp New commenter

Straight back to your GP. You are not well and you need longer to recover, simple. It's the same as if you'd been hit with a nasty virus - if you rush back before you are truly better, you will damage yourself more in the long term.

Think of it like me - in 2018, I had bronchitis quite severely in early March, and went back to work too soon. I ended up in A&E twice by July because I had aggravated my asthma, and had two incidences where I couldn't breathe properly. Very frightening, and my recovery ended up taking much longer than if I had just taken enough time off to start with.

Enjoy spending time with your dog, get plenty of walks - exercise AND fresh air/sunshine will all help, as well as the fun of spending time with your friend.

agathamorse and lynneseptember like this.
  5. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

hey - I've been off for a few months and still have the panic you describe.
    It's getting less frequent now, but when it comes, it's much more intense/worse. If that makes sense.
    You need to go back to the GP.
    They would prefer you got well before going back, than you yo-yo'd.
    Well, I would....

lynneseptember and agathamorse like this.
  6. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

It takes months, not weeks to get well from this. I for one was off for 9 months and left with a Settlement Agreement. I realised it wasn't the thought of returning to teaching that was the issue, it was teaching in that particular school. Slowly I returned to work, a bit at a time but it was another 6 months before my confidence returned.

You will move on from this, be it back to the same place or elsewhere. But not yet. You've turned a corner, started to feel back in your skin again, then had a setback, that's all. Give yourself a break, go back to the gp for another note and listen to your body. You're ill.

7. newton375

newton375 New commenter

I'm signed off too.

I would recommend some outside help eg education support partnership/ local wellbeing services etc

It was useful for me as its neutral & i didnt feel like a burden.

Also i have a friend group chat
    sending & recieving 'stupid ' questions
    eg would you rather...fart glitter or pee marbles

For me it keeps my contact and engagement up, no pressure to answer 'how are you..' , and the others dont have to worry about saying the 'wrong 'thing

lynneseptember likes this.
  8. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Hmm, if your employer came up to you with a hammer and broke both your legs, would you feel like you were letting them down for not getting up and running a marathon for them? straight away? 2 weeks later? a month later? 6 months later? A YEAR LATER? I don't think so

There aren't any, - really if all the teacher who have had to take time off for stress didn't work again, half the schools in the country would close, and that's just the ones that go back into teaching. Many don't.

You are not failing, the education system is failing.

9. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

To be completely frank, the teachers who I feel are really letting children and education down are the ones that are propping up the whole collapsing edifice, driving themselves to stupid extremes, having substandard lives, providing sub standard teaching, and giving psychotic managers the impression that this is a set of circumstances they can impose on anyone they want, without repercussions.

StealingBiscuits and agathamorse like this.
  10. LINGUIST2

LINGUIST2 New commenter

I am always amazed at the kindness and understanding here which I do not get from people at work e.g HOD and SLT!