1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Signed off

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by chocolateinuk, Dec 2, 2019 at 8:44 AM.

1. chocolateinuk

chocolateinuk New commenter

Hi all.

I just got signed off for two weeks. Can I decide to take one week instead of two?

It’s just going to stress me even more if I cannot be back next week as I have too many things to do and I think the longer I am away the less I will want to be back.

Thanks.
    C

2. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

You have taken the first step.
    You are not well
    Your doctor agrees you are not well
    Follow medical advice

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

follow medical advice

no, if you go back when you are not well, you will be ill longer, and go off again.

you are unlikely to be insured, anyway

caress, Shedman, agathamorse and 3 others like this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

No you don't - all the things that need doing in the next two weeks are going to be done by somebody else, so (as the young people say) get over it and have the rest you obviously need. A classic cause of stress in teachers is thinking they're somehow indispensible and the poor little mites in their class(es) will suffer from their absence. Neither is true. I speak as an ex-supply who routinely stood in for teachers who'd been signed off short term and long term. They'll get by without you until you've recovered. If you'd broken your leg it would be no different - you wouldn't be hobbling in on crutches a week later.

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

There are things to be done. Correct.

You have nothing to do as you are officially not fit to work.

So those things (not YOUR things) will have to be done (or left undone) by someone else.

caress, Shedman, lilachardy and 6 others like this.
  6. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

When you are suffering from stress, it can effect your sense of proportion, and your judgement. The fact that you are already thinking that you should ignore your doctors advice is a good indication of this. It will probably take the first week off just to get over the feeling that you are letting the school down, and that you are indispensable, you then need to start getting better, that is what the second week is for. If you are still stressing about work at the end of the second week, then you are not fit to go back.
    Remember the school should support your return in a way that helps you cope with the stress that made you ill in the first place, but that is for when you return. Right now I suggest a long walk every day, with the company of a friend or family member if possible.

7. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

The school will still be standing when you return. The jobs you have to do, if they are so important, will be done by someone else and if you do go in to work and there is an incident then the first thing that will be flung at you will be why were you there when you'd been signed off.

A medical professional has determined you are not fit for work. For your own sake and the sake of your students, do as they say.

8. Miss_Haversham

Miss_Haversham New commenter

Listen to your GP. My doctor tried to sign me off for 6 weeks. I haggled her down as I was worried about being off that long. She compromised a little but insisted I spent a month at home. With hindsight she was right, going back earlier would've been a mistake. I needed to put myself first and recover fully.

Sounds like you need to do the same.

titch_654 and caress like this.