1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

signed off wrs/anxiety

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jibberjabber77, Feb 24, 2019.

1. jibberjabber77

jibberjabber77 New commenter

been off since the start of 2018, when do you know your ready to come back, I want to go back but the thought of going in Monday is making me feel sick, please help!

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

You have been off for over a year? That is a long time to be unwell, no wonder you are anxious about returning to work. I can only suggest one day at a time.
    I hope it goes well.

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

I am taking it that you mean 2019?

If the thought is making you sick I would suggest taking medical advice. Are you on any medication for it?

If so and you have just started them then be aware that they can take 4-6 weeks to take effect.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. IanG

IanG Occasional commenter

When GP/OH and more importantly YOU know its time to go back. Do you see yourself never wanting to go back and moving on? A phased return (OH advice) can really help, I was off for over 3 months and went back over 3 weeks on just a couple of days slowly building up to full time. Really made a difference.

5. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

I was only off for a total of 6 weeks including the Christmas holiday period and I felt horrific before going back. I say going back, I was starting at a new school which definitely added to the stress. I had a full on panic attack the day before. I was working myself up on the car ride to work the morning I went back. It’s not easy and you will feel anxious at the very thought of it. I still feel heightened anxiety at certain times now; this morning after being off for a week, when my to do list begins to grow etc.

Get yourself on a phased return through occupational health. If even that is too much for you, you’re not ready to return.

Look after yourself, there are plenty of jobs in life but you only get one you!

agathamorse likes this.
  6. splittinghairs

splittinghairs New commenter

In my experience you will feel anxious even when you’re ready to return. Just be careful, if the thought of it gets you too worked up then it’s probably too soon!

agathamorse likes this.
  7. keriat

keriat New commenter

Hope you ok xx

8. Vitalistics

Vitalistics New commenter

If you can afford it, please stay off and get well before going back. Your health is more important than anything else

ridleyrumpus likes this.