1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Signed and certified, does it mean notarised?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by NQTabroad, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Hello,
    Going through the long and dreary process of getting my documents attested. [​IMG]
    I have to get my PGCE attested (whatever that means exactly) by a solictor before I can send it to the FCO. I have rang four solictors and they say they can t do it for some strange reason,.
    The last one I rang said it can be notarised for 60£ or signed for £5, Which is the right one? I ve no idea what the difference is?
    I interperted signed and certified as signed with a stamp maybe? I ve honestly no idea.
    I asked for attesting and the secretary said I have to be more specific and check with the FCO.

I think if I call the Omani embassy or FCO one more time I ll scream! [​IMG]
    Ill do it tomorrow when I m calmer...
    But does any one know from experience what exactly is required for my photo copy?

2. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

It may be a lot cheaper to consult their website, rather than telephone them. As I understand it, what you need is attestation, not just for someone or other to sign them. The FCO are the people who will stick on the apostilles, rather expensive little bits of paper, and then you send off you documents to the Omani Embassy. It is all horrendously expensive and time-consuming. If you are lucky, your school will reimburse all of these costs, but maybe they won't. Keep the receipts and try to get your money back.

3. I didn't need anything apostilled for Oman. I just took photocopies and original documents to a Justice of the Peace (free, at least where I come from), who sighted the original and then stamped and signed the photocopies.
    Quick and costless.

4. PuRe

PuRe New commenter

its the £5 one......

it would be interesting to know th exact difference.

5. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Usually ' certified ' means that the photocopy you are presenting is a true copy of the original document. The solicitor/consulate official will take the original, photocopy it and sign/stamp the copy to certify its link to the original.
    Attesting is when they confirm that the original is a valid, legally acceptable document i.e they are confirming its authenticity. Hence the difference in price.
    I know this through having to get various documents attested, certified and translated to get married outside the UK.

6. PuRe

PuRe New commenter

Thanks