1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sign the e-petition...!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Phillippo, Dec 19, 2011.

1. http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/12405

2. http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/12405

3. MsPoppins

MsPoppins New commenter

Excellent! Signed and posted on FB.

4. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Will sign it tomorrow when my brain is more alert.

5. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

Thank you Phillippo
    What I find very sad is despite there being around 45,000 supply teachers and around 50,000 unemployed teachers, there is only 617 names. Do teachers not care about there profession?

6. tabath

tabath New commenter

Signed, I have also posted the link on my facebook page!

7. Thanks for highlighting this. I have signed!

8. ...thanks. There was a similar petition not long ago, unless of course, this is the same one, but the more that sign it the better the chances of the govt actually doing something about this ludicrous situation.
    ...signed....come on the rest of you like minded teaching folk...lets get it signed to bring about some urgent changes

9. What bothers me is that the petition asks for personal details.

10. I'm not signing it because I disagree with the point of it: It supports the continuation of a law which bars fully qualified and experienced A-level teachers (such as myself) from teaching 6th form students because my qualifications are different to yours (PGCE (PC) QTLS instead of PGCE QTS).

11. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

No it doesn't because many fully qualified and experienced A'Level teachers hold PGCE with QTS having researched training opportunities first.
    It really is about time you changed the record.

12. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

The aim of the petition was to protect the value of all our qualifications and "at least" restrict the amount of teaching done by people with no qualifications. It is not to cause divisions between the various groups of professionals in Education.
    When historygrump proposed the petition he asked for ideas and approval as to its content, it seems that no one in your situation pointed this out. In addition I suspect a word limit would not allow a full listing of approved qualifications.
    I urge you to reconsider your decision since if this decision does lead to a change in the law it should (if the unions get their act together) include and protect the rights of all valid teaching qualifications.

As for the comment about giving out personnel details, all they require is your email address so they can verify its a genuine vote. On ocassions its time to "stand up and be counted" or watch all your rights people have fought for previously be flushed down the drain.

13. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Sorry thats "occasions" not "ocassions" [​IMG]

14. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

Thanks for the reply les25paul,
    The petition was directed at those people without any pgce teacher training and from either April or September 2012, anyone with a pgce (QTLS) will be equal in status (officiall) to a person with QTS, when the Dept of Education approves the consultation paper. From what I have read, it is a done deal. The petiition is designed to stop the use of Cs, HLTA's and TA's without a pgce teaching qualiification from being used to teach by schools and academies. If we don't succeed then we will find that the profession nature of teaching and the need for well educated and trained teachers will decline, why employ a person with a pgce, when you can get away with using somebody with basic skills qualifications, after nobody will say anything. Sad thing is, this is not predicting the future, it is occurring at the present, and if no action is taken soon, it will become the norm that any Tom, Dick or Harriet can teach without having the required training.

15. Great idea. I have signed and posted the link on Twitter and Facebook.

16. Signed and Tweeted! :D