1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sign Language GCSE

Discussion in 'Education news' started by install, May 6, 2018.

1. install

install Star commenter

Isn't it high time Sign Language was accepted in schools as a GCSE? Perhaps even as an alternative to another language at GCSE level?

Idiomas11 likes this.
  2. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

It's a good idea but as we all know the government don't want our students learning anything practical. They want an "academic" curriculum to turn off about 75% of our children from learning anything useful!

simonCOAL and install like this.
  3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I've learned a good bit of sign language by watching Mr Tumble on the TV with my 2 year old grandson. Even he has picked up some of it and sometimes uses signs instead of words.

install likes this.
  4. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

@install I wholeheartedly agree...I wish I could still remember more of he signs I learnt years ago! Have been thinking of doing a course for a while...

install likes this.
  5. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

Much more useful on a day to day basis than an mfl. Would help to include deaf and dumb community into society.

Idiomas11 and install like this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

Thankyou all for your input. It would be great if 'Sign Language' counted as a Language qualification. It is afterall a fairly universal form of communication for a large group of people :):):)

7. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

I am going to have to disagree. BSL is only useful for British people and even differs in America. If BSL is taught, then so to should Braille. @minka1 This would help include the blind.

Throughout my entire life I have only ever met 1 deaf person and they were in another country. I speak several languages and this has helped me immensely, even in England.

Yes, it would be great to have BSL included in the curriculum somewhere but certainly not in place of MFL.

MarieAnn18, install and border_walker like this.
  8. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Anyone watch the Corrie ad break tonight? The Aldi ad was great!
    Edit: it was in support of Deaf Awareness Week

MarieAnn18 and install like this.