1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sign Language Course: Makaton/BSL

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by georgiaejackson, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Hello,

Which sign language course is better to learn for sen teaching; Makaton or BSL?

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Makaton uses mainly BSL signs but it uses English grammar and you only sign key words. Makaton was developed for SLD teaching so if the choice is Makaton or BSL I'd go for Makaton - signalong is also worth considering.

However, I'd recommend checking with the school you want to work in as each school or LEA differs.

3. jumpingstar

jumpingstar New commenter

Id say most places use Makaton - I do not know of anyone who uses BSL over various settings and counties.

But defo check with your school

4. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

My school uses BSL as we have some Deaf children as well as children with other needs. The idea is that everyone can be consistent if we are using BSL right through the school, regardless of whether a child is Deaf or not. However with the younger ones we do use the English grammar, with BSL signs.