1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sideways move

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by physicsgeek, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Hi all

I am applying for an assistant head role (don't panic, I don't want a copy of any ones letter!).
    I am currently an assistant head, but my other halves job means a relocation. I am 2 years into the role, but not ready for deputy.
    Is it best to explain in my letter that I am applying for jobs due to relocation, or does that suggest I'm not really that interested in the job? (I am, there is a lot going on in the school that I am applying to that I would like to get my teeth into).
    Or do I avoid mentioning it in the letter, or does that look like I am having to move from my school for other reasons?

Any advice gratefully received.

2. I think I would put both. Relocation for personal reasons but particular interest in school X because....

I don't know where you are based, but down here (home counties) we find it so difficult to get good staff that a move for personal reasons means the chance to get an excellent and experienced member of staff who we wouldn't have had the opportunity of interviewing previously = lucky us!