1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sideways move to independent sector - is visit recommended/the done thing?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by toastandtea, Sep 21, 2015.

1. toastandtea

toastandtea New commenter

I'm considering making a sideways move to the independent sector for both relocation purposes but also because I want to be able to actually do what I love, teaching children and leading education for children without the restrictions of govt etc. (I'm currently on SLT)

I want to ask, is visiting the school before application a done thing? I'd like to visit to get a feel of the school and the area before applying but having just spoken to the reception office at a prospective school the (very kind sounding) receptionist/admin said this was the first shed heard of this type of request which made me think visits aren't something normally done? I was told someone would call me back.

if anyone could shed light on visits to independent schools pre-application I'd be very grateful!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Pre-application visits to schools

Independent schools – with a few rare exceptions – do not encourage or wish for visits. They will arrange a full school tour, often accompanied by two or three older pupils, on the day of the interview, so you are not going into the school blind. In fact, many independent schools would be taken aback – and embarrassed even – if you asked to visit.

So unless it says something about visits, don’t ask.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well!

I certainly didn't post with all those formatting codes! I'm sorry about that.