1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Side-effect of nonsenzse words in phonics

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Wotton, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I agree and surely made up words are a distortion (sp) of real words.

2. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I'm not entirely sure what he is doing wrong - do you mean he might read the word wit out loud as wut for example? Is that what you mean?
    I don't know but I see lots of children I help making that kind of mistake at all kinds of ages, maybe when they didn't appear to earlier on. Lots of different reasons including lack of practice, boredom, inattention, sloppiness, a genuine lack of knowledge of the different beween maybe an u and an a because in some fonts they look very similar etc etc.
    He needs more phonics teaching until it is all second-nature! Some nonsense words from time to time to check he's awake and can decode something new, but mostly more and more practice I would say, preferably reading interesting books if he has sufficient phonic knowledge to read an interesting book.
    Do you know how and what he has been taught? And what his siblings and parents are like as readers? Sometime they all seem to have the same bad habit, or way of thinking, or whatever it is. For sure, if he's taught well and he practices enough it will go away unless he genuinely can never remember enough GPCs to master reading English. He doesn't sound like he falls into that tiny minority though.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm not sure what you mean either inky but the ability to manipulate sounds within words is a useful skill for spelling so I wouldn't be concerned at such a young age. Obviously if there are ASD concerns some children are more rigid and literal.

4. I have seen Toe by Toe working in schools for many years - these are chains of sounds - many many nonsene words that help children read.
    Yesterday I looked at some words with a year 3 child I am tutoring, they were: Brane, Trayn, Lain. This was to help him understand that ane, ain and ayn all made the same sound, but then we discussed which were the correct spellings for brain, train, lane etc