1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SICKNESS

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by kindofaverage, Dec 11, 2011.

1. hi all, not sure if I am posting in the right place. I am entitled to 6 months full and 6 months half pay but is that in all your years of teaching; or is this per year? totally confused.

2. hi all, not sure if I am posting in the right place. I am entitled to 6 months full and 6 months half pay but is that in all your years of teaching; or is this per year? totally confused.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

This is in each "sick pay year" ie between 1 April and 31 March, as long as you return to work in between. So theoretically, if you are entitled to the 100 days full/half pay, you could be absent for this length of time until 30 March, return from sick leave on 31 March and be off again from 1 April for a further 100 days back on full pay ( although you might find other "measures" being considered!)

4. coppull

coppull New commenter

Yes after four years. Also weekends and holidays are not included in these 100 days.
    If you have been absent for sometime. I would suggest you contact your Union( not the school rep) to discuss any problems that you have.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Not sure this is correct. If you were carrying on the same 'illness' certified over the financial year you would move on to half pay and not back to full pay.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I once did what turned out to be a long-term cover for someone on their 5th year of being mainly on sick pay.
    The teacher would use up their 100 days of full pay and most of the 100 days on half pay and then return to work for periods varying from a few weeks to a few months. When the next sick period fell in a new sick pay year, full sick pay resumed as long as they had been back in work for at least a day of the new qualifying period.
    I stepped in from the January one year after the teacher had been off from the November. They got full pay from November to the end of April (where illness straddles the sick pay claim years, it carries on based on the entitlement for the original claim year).
    Half pay then kicked in but wasn't claimed for the full 100 days as the teacher returned to work in September. I believe that they went back on full sick pay before the end of March and their new entitlement to 100 days full pay then straddled a new claim year.