1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sickness review due to pregnancy related illness

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by emmalafferty, May 21, 2018.

1. emmalafferty

emmalafferty New commenter

Hi all,

I know from all guidance I have read, that any pregnancy related sickness is supposed to be recorded as such. I have had 4 days due to bruised stomach from vommitting and SPD/PGP. I am being told that this could spark a sickness review, and that at this point I may be advised to start my maternity leave 7 weeks early to avoid the review, which I do not want to do! I’m hoping to work up until 38 weeks, and I’m aware that any sickness in the last 4 weeks before the due date could trigger mat leave.

Can I be called in for a sickness review when the sickness is pregnancy related? If so, how will this effect my file/record in the future?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I don't know about whether a sickness review can be held, but the outcome should be "it's pregnancy related so the only thing that needs to be done is to review your risk assessment".
    You cannot be pushed into starting maternity leave early until 36 weeks. If you are signed off until then, or if the risk assessment suggests that you should be moved to lighter duties, then tough.

They're trying it on, basically. I'd have a word with your union so that they know what's happening, then reply along the lines of "Thank you for letting me know about the possibility of a sickness review, and I have spoken to my union. Although pregnancy-related illness is treated separately, it will be a useful opportunity to revisit my risk assessment. I understand that if I am off sick with pregnancy-related illness after <date> then my maternity leave will need to begin then; otherwise I plan to remain in post until the date previously notified." Once they know that you know the rules and that your union is involved, they should back off.

8sycamore and emmalafferty like this.
  3. emmalafferty

emmalafferty New commenter

Thank you.